Rubbing strake for pier wall

Mr Googler

Visit site
At the local dingy club, the pontoons have escalator handrail all around the edges. Screwed through the middle. The top surface where you would put your hands on it when its on an escalator goes next to the pontoon. You could put as many rows of it on the wall as needed.

since lift and escalator companies have to replace this stuff as soon as it shows any signs of cracking on the top surface, they have loads of it. The club got all of the lengths it needed - and some - for free. It saved the company from having to pay to dispose of it.

it will last 15 years easily.
That’s very clever ?

Dino

Visit site
Alt, might be worth talking to Phil Monaghan in Ballinrobe. I bought rubbing strake inserts off him before and he was very good value. He had the same stuff as Wilks in the UK but they wanted the same price in Sterling and £45 shipping.

alt

Visit site
Thanks Dino, been to Phil many times, he's very competitive with pricing.

After some research, i'm not finding it easy to find rubber strake as wide as I want (approx 9").

I'm now thinking a synthetic / plastic 'plank' (basically like a timber plank). The bend on the pier is gradual, so won't have issues with that.

Going to do a little research and see if I can find any in Ireland. Basically like synthetic decking for the garden, except as wide as possible.

Hurricane

Visit site
My old sailing club used to make and repair their own pontoons etc
I believe that we used a rubber section that was used in lorry trailers.
Very similar to the section in post #1 but much bigger.
Heavy duty rubber about 4" across.
Maybe that will help.

Other threads that may be of interest