RTI - Big Deal - Where have all the sailors gone?

G

To my mind RTI has always meant (pre-Tilman) going round all of our islands including Sweet Rockall. Now it seems to be demeaned to having a short day-sail jolly round the IOW.

When you lot, who, IMHO, pretend to sail, say that you have skirted the west coast of Ireland and made it, then I'll quite happily say that you are sailors ....

In the meantime, looking at YM July 01, then, and with respect, two things, 1) is Kilrush a welcome diversion from a proper passage and 2) is the RYA 'preferred' book on celestail navigation a book that has any relevence to celestial navigation?

(Sorry, but published words mean what they say ... and I disagree.)

Birgitta

G

Alright Nigel.
Call me a sailor then as I have Been over to Ireland The Inner and Outer Hebrides Solway. sailed the little Minch and the Pentland Firth, Worn that tea shirt done it and done the I.O.W circumnavigation with the rest of the guys and it was a good day out. And I presume that many more guys who entered that race on Saturday have put in equal amount if not more sea miles than me. So whats your beef because some people enjoyed a days racing. Anybody who made it round the I.O.W on Saturday is definitely a sailor.
Kind regards
Bluebeard

Davydine

Visit site
Am I Just a pretender?

Dear Nige,

Where does that leave me? I have only been sailing for about 5 years, mostly as crew with my longest passage being the bay of Biscay.

Now I am skipper of my own yacht, a late 60's design which I know JJ would describe as having the sailing qualities of a brick. I find being skipper a very different from being crew, and even a trip round the IOW would be a daunting prospect. One day, with a bit more experience, I may want to sail RTI as you would describe it, or maybe I wouldn't who knows?

Does this make me a pretender, or a sensible skipper aware of my lack of experience?

Regards,

DW

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Nigel,
Nice bit of muscle flexing/chest beating. Where does that leave the likes of Maurice Griffiths an avowed ditch crawler ? There's a lot more to sailing than sitting in a cockpit for a long period of time. Personnally I find sailing across the Channel boring and much prefer coastal sailing watching the coastline slowly reveal itself. Guess I'll have to keep pretending I'm a sailor.

robp

Visit site
Wish I had the time to go be a proper sailor! Guess I'll just have to pretend each weekend and a week here and there. At least work has me drive around a bit when I'm in the country. Otherwise you'll have me down as a Sunday driver too!

iangrant

Visit site
I had a great time this year, as every year, did really badly, even got disqualified, (still waiting to hear why) so I really can't be a sailor,
For all of us it is a big deal, 1700 boats plus - the bit round the forts was bloody terrifying!!

Ian

Taiyo

G

Dont you mean coming around the Needles from the fort then up to St Catherines Point!
It was a little lumpy to say the least. I found the worst bit close hauled trying to make close in at the Needles light we finished up going right over the wreck trying to get around the rest of the trip was easy once we had rounded the light.
Regards
Bluebeard