Rounding Lands End Southbound in Cornish Shrimper

TheOldCodger9

Visit site
Any useful tips from readers who have done this leg - to add to all that I have read up on! ( Early July rounding planned from St Ives - Newlyn - weather permitting ). TOC9

SABREMAN

Visit site
Early July? With decent weather and using the tides carefully it should be a good trip. I've only done it from Newlyn to Milford Haven and had no problems with getting around Lands End- in fact we enjoyed the experience.

wotayottie

Visit site
use the inshore passage. tide turns there about an hour earlier than outside.

last time we anchored off Sennen cove for a few hours, took the dinghy and fished for pollack off the Longships. Could be a nice place to overnight if calm / easterlies.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Leave Saint Ives at a time to allow your speed to get to the inshore passage between Longships and Lands End at slack water - around high water.

There is deep water to run down to LE at no more than half mile from shore, staying deep enough off Cape Cornwall/3 Stone Oar . You can even stop at the Western Carracks (east side) to see the seals - deep water to within 30 feet of the rocks!

After the inshore passage, you can go inside of the Runnelstone rock - trawlers use this inside passage, or outside the buoy. The Runnelstone breaks at low water and swells. That will give you flood tide to Pz.

As said above, you can stop and anchor off Sennen Cove.

Give Stephen Basset, Saint Ives harbour master, a call and get his take on things. 01736 795018.

Into Cornwall

Chris_Robb

Visit site
You must be mad Mr B......

It should be fun trip. It would be brilliant if time weather etc allowed for you to divert to the Scillies for a couple of days..... Pleanty of drying anchorages there. For more details, Scillies pete, a local of that parish will give you loads of info.

Have plan A, B and C available - complete with weypoints already in your GPS... We are in Brittany for most of July, so hope we all get some nice weather.

Bon Voyage

Chris

TheOldCodger9

Visit site
Thanks Chris - I think the rounding will be enough. I don't fancy the Scillies in this trip although my boat was actually based on Bryher before I bought her! Enjoy Brittany - gather you had an interesting cross channel the other day!!

TheOldCodger9

Visit site
Well I know what it's like and I know it dries out but I've never sailed there. Sailing on my Shrimper has thus far been restricted to the Camel Estuary like many others. Time to break free and go for an adventure! Jules