Round the World Cruising Costs

G

Am I alone in thinking the article in this month's YM about circumnavigating presewnted a VERY expensive picture of the journey?

£50K over two years = £480 per WEEK. I can imagine that a good few thousand were spent on fuel (read the article) but what of the rest?

Past discussion son Scuttlebutt suggest couples cruise in the Med. on budgets of £125 - £250 per week and, as they say it, want for nothing.

Views?

G

Yup. You can have a great time on £10 grand a year, £200 a week. But don't believe those those who say you can do it on a shoestring either. The World on $10 a Day is strictly for those who intend to write a book about how they did it.

G

Its best to ignore such witterings and go and see for yourself. Depends entirely on the individual, and everyone cuts their cloth to suit themselves. Had a sail on a beautiful Nic 475 last week, skip reckoned it cost an average £19K per annum to keep the thing up to scratch. (he does things like have a washboard stripped and revarnished by C&N, cost ? £270....you get the picture!)I know friends who have sailed away in boats that cost half that much with a few quid in their back pocket. Just coz you go sailing doesnt mean it will cost "X" amount, whether its round the pond or round the world. We've also got non sailing friends who earn very little (as we are about to!!) and live very happily thank you very much. Just because someone else says they coulnt live on less than £100K per year does'nt mean you can't.

So ignore it. Do what you can on what you have, as we all do in all walks of life, sailing is no different. Such articles are totally and utterly worthless. (And yes this type of rant does make me feel better about the fact that we dont have those kinds of funds available.)

G

Based on a year trip we did 4 years ago, I'd say that the figures are fair reflection of what you might expect to pay out. I know people who have done it on £10k a year but then you have to expect to spend time in rolly anchorages and have long dingy rides to shore. With increasing traffic the popular places now have marinas and harbours which all cost. Unless you really are going off the beaten track then things have moved on from the Hiscocks' days. For instance, we spent a very cheap two months in Brazil and then a very expensive three months in the Caribbean and Bahamas.

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

G

I recon it costs what your willing to spend. Maybe people think they are off on holiday and spend accordingly? I know after four summers living aboard in the UK what it really costs me to live (well)so have a starting figure to plan on. I don't plan on marinas,restaurants etc. But my lifestyle is in no way comparable so have to agree that estimates are only guides to what other people spend.
I'll suck it and see.

wully.

G

Just an observation, I am pretty sure that the magazine article stated the £50K included 2 years depreciation for their boat?

I agree though that within reason you will spend a little more than you have. As is the way with life.

Cheers

Charlie

CaptainChaos

Visit site
If I realised I could write a book on how I've lived on $10 a day for the last 3 years cruising in the Indian Ocean - maybe I could afford more!!!! sorry, but until you've cruised on a budget for a prolonged period how can anyone comment? It's only because you base your expenses on what it cost in the Western world to live. We bought our 50ft Colin Archer steel yacht in south africa for 15k and spent 10k on it, with 5k to keep us going for the last 3 years - of course we top it up - but taking passengers on a cost-share basis gives us sufficient funds to live on. We have no mortgage, no bills, no debts, you don't need to spend money on clothes,phones, cars,expensive electronic equipment, meals out, cinema's, or holidays!!!!!! What else you gonna spend it on? Food and beer and that's about it!!!!