Round I.O.W race

G

I am participating in the round I.O.W race on the 14th June.
Is there any other postee!s that can offer any advice on tactics regarding tidal streams and different wind directions and best lines to take.
Any Idea!s would be gratefully accepted.
Kind Regards
Bluebeard.

G

Bluebeard , you old seadog. Where does the IOW race go ?
If it comes down my way then sure youwill get all the help I can find. Brian

G

Depends largely on two things - wind (how much, and where from) and your start time relative to the tide. In general, close inshore on the south side, and out of the tide on the north east leg - short tacks past Ryde.

There have been several articles published by much more competitive sailors than I - back issues should help.

And most importantly, there are a lot of idiots in this race - you know, corporate charterers particularly; and ColRegs and racing rules notwithstanding, if you sense you are about to be involved with a prat, get out of there. I remember a boisterous downwind leg off St Cats one year, and a guy who simply couldn't control his boat. I couldn't go faster, I couldn't go slower, there was another boat around, so no chance of getting some room, and this prune so close I could blow in his ear. "F*** off out of it" I said politely, but his face was white, his eyes were staring, and his mouth open. His crew meanwhile were looking the other way, filing their nails, and checking their lifejackets.

Apart from that it is a brilliant, tiring day out.

G

Your tactics seem excellent :)

Starting two days ahead of the rest of us should keep you clear of the majority of other competitors and give you a very good chance of crossing the finishing line first :)

Seriously, I too am entering my first RTIR this year (but starting on 16th June) and would be grateful for any hints - especially how to stay out of trouble. I fine the idea of competing in a race with 2000 other boats, (half of which are probably as stupid as I am myself) a rather intimidating prospect!

G

Re: Your tactics seem excellent :)

Well it was worth a try starting two days before you, I was always one for a advantage!

Know I was joking I will be going down on the 14th then sailing over for the early gun.

i understand that with there being 2000 boats participating they are doing numerous starts!

I can envisage it being a nightmare on that start line.
with so many boats taking part, and like you say half these crackpots who have entered have never been in a race before. I bet half of them have not even had the boat out of the marina!

Hopefully we can get away quickly and gain some clear air!

Maybe my friend we could join up for a swift drink afterwards, I maybe will be generous and let you buy the winner one.( Me)

EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Kind Regards
Bluebeard

G

Thanks for the advice, we had reasoned on those lines ourselves. however wind strength and direction along with times of allocation from the start do play a rather large part in decisions.

If you should come up with any other advice before the
race. Your comments are much appreciated.
Kind regards
Bluebeard.

G

No problem. The combinations of plans that can be made pre-race are just enormous. The known factors are start time, and tide. What you don't know until very close to the event is the wind, which will give you your speed, and what point of sail each leg will be.

A further couple of thoughts I had, if you are beating from the Needles to St Cats, close inshore is the place to be if there is any foul tide at all. Right under the cliffs.

At the finish, where there are two "gates", only one of which you have to sail through, be sure you are prepared and know which one is yours, and position yourself accordingly, and then be aware of last minute (and stupid) changes of course in the run-up to the line. If you get time record the middle of your line in your GPS, so you get on track early. If it is a beat it can be hard to spot your gate, if it is anything else, just join the queue!

I think about three (or two?) years ago YM did a feature on tactics. Last time I did the race (admittedly 2 years ago) there were some notes on tactics in the race pack.

Go for clear air for two obvious reasons, if you drop a place or two, what the hell!

Have food & drinks pre-prepared (unless you are in a forty-footer with dozens of crew).

But enjoy it, it is hard not to.

G

Thanks very much Peter for the info its sounds sound as a pound to me.

I will try to remember the advice that you have given and with a bit of luck we should be in with a chance.
The only thing that concerns me is we are doing it in a very light waterballasted boat.
She points high but if we sustain a knock at the start
with all these other loonies and charter wallies about we could finish up retiring before we get under way.
But I suppose thats a risk all who take part worry about.
Many thanks again for your pointers.
Bluebeard.

G

You say close under the cliffs from the needles to St Patts!
How close in dare we go?
I understand you have to get out of the stream but generally are we talking 5ooyds or close than that?

G

My Tactics are...

In order:

1. Don't get hit by anyone
2. Don't hit anyone
3. Complete the course
4. Do 3 as fast as compatible with 1 & 2.

Specifically I suspect that means hanging back at the start and not trying to round too close to the marks.

I was racing in the De Guingand bowl this weekend and there 120 boats in 4 starts made the Solent look crowded - I cannot conceive what 2000 will look like!

G

Re: My Tactics are...

There are they who race and the rest of us!! I find the start the most scarey bit, all those classes, all those keen racers/nutters charging about timing the guns on the start line etc.. KEEP AWAY stay at the back! In a "race" that takes at least 9/10 hours for us normal folk, with hangovers from the preparation, what difference does a few minutes make. As for close the the cliffs out of the tide, sod off, 'cause that is a real mess in there, stay out, stay clear, we beat a lot of boats last year by heading straight for St Catherines. There is a book issued with your start time and class from the ISC, worth reading!

See you there

Ian

G

...as a race virgin, I must say that all this talk of nutters and crowding is a bit scary. But I am looking forward to it. Please keep clear of my newly painted blue hull though!

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

G

Bluebeard

THe key is that it is a race where luck holds a large hand, both with the weather, your fellow competitors and generally how your crew react.

I usually do it with an in-experienced crew so avoid situations where rapid tacking is needed ( ie under the cliffs ) but sometimes opportunities open up -- two years ago I saw a lovely gap to go between the Needles and the wreck so I took it.

The worst point IMHO is the forts - often you have port tackers hardening up and tacking onto Starboard to get over to Ryde Sands to cheat the tide, which carries them back towards teh fort - result, Starboard tackers screaming at those on Port, the Port guys having nowhere to go and the spectators on the fort having a damn good laugh. If you boat handles like a Laser dinghy, go for it, otherwise go wide !

Ultimately, clear air and a bit of space, with plenty of planning approaching turning marks, assuming none of the other boats knows the racing rules and not forcing your rights regardles pays off with a reasonable place well up the fleet and reason enough to have a few beers at the end.

Personally, this year is a Fastnet year so to preserve the boat , I will be adding in a few extra waypoints to keep me safe .. Poole Bar 1, EC2, Nab Tower and Browndown !

Take care and enjoy

G

You\'re safe from me...

I only hit white-hulled boats - blue is just too difficult to clean of my topsides :)

G

Sorry for late reply - been sailing.

I was told "as close as you dare". Obviously there are other considerations, such as not getting in the dead wind area found at the foot of cliffs, and not mashing your keel on lomps of chalk rock.

When you get there, you won't be alone, so you'll be able to make your judgement according to conditions, and what others are doing.