Round Britain day 70

Concerto

Visit site
Today has been a day of winds that were nothing like the forecast, 10 to 12 knots from the SW and veering to W to WNW.

After slipping out of my berth at 9.40 using a loop of a line from the midship cleat to a pontoon cleat about 1½m in front. As Concerto was head to wind the loop was only over the windward side of the cleat so as I motored foward it slipped off. After leaving Rathlin harbour, I tidied the fenders and warp away. Just after the Drake buoy I was able to turn into wind and raise the full mainsail before making a course to pass by the Rue Lighthouse. Full genoa was then unfurled. The wind was about 10 knots and I was on a broad reach on starboard. The whole day was spent on the same tack.

As I passed the lighthouse, the change of course to clear Fairhead meant the wind came on the beam. At this point, I entered a section of turbulent water and this knocked the speed through the water back massively, but the tidal push was about 5 knots, so it did not matter that much. Once clear of this area the boat speed increased and at one time it reached 11.3 knots over the ground. After rounding Torr Head, the course made the wind more of a close reach. Heading along the coast the wind increased, so a reef was put in the main. 20 minutes later a reef was needed in the genoa. For the next couple of hours, the reef in the genoa was in and out like a yoyo and the direction kept fluctuating by about 40 degrees. Oh, there were also some rain showers to crown it all.

Once I passed Larne, the wind increased and it became close hauled. The autopilot was under a lot of pressure so I decided to hand steer and frequently required full rudder as she was over canvased and several times the speed hit 8.68 knots. Easing the main sheet allowed me to use the autopilot whilst I dropped a second reef in the main. This was still not sufficient reduction in canvas so I put a second reef in the headsail. So much for the wind forecast of 10 to 12 knots, this was definitely a force 6 to 7. As I was in the lee of cliffs, the water was quite calm, so Concerto charged along nicely doing 7½ to 8 knots as the wind had veered making it a close reach again.

After passing Blackhead Lighthouse, the course changed slightly and I had to harden the sheets in. Then poof, the wind dropped and changed direction to N making it into a run. I shook out a reef in the main and one in the headsail, and then started goosewinging by sheeting the genoa round. Boat speed dropped as the water had become choppy again. After about ¾ hour, the speed was only 3 knots, so I rolled the genoa away and rounded up into wind to drop the mainsail. An engine is always refered to as an auxiliary and it was needed to head to Bangor Marina. Shortly after locating the berth and mooring iat 16.20, I stripped off the wet weather gear and sweatshirt as it felt very warm and humid. Before I had a chance to connect the electrics, it rained heavily.

After the shower had passed I connected the electric cable and noticed on a diagonal berth from mine were my friends on Rococco. I helped Richard fill his water tank and when Alison returned from the laundry we had some tea and biscuits, chatting about the strange weather and the places they had visited since we last met 5 days ago, We first met in Lowestoft and again in Wells, Hartlepool and Ballycastle, but they used the Caledonian Canal. Their plans will mean we shall not meet again on this trip, but we shall meet up at the Southampton Boat Show.

IMG_5689 1000pix.jpg
Approaching Rue Lighthouse

IMG_5690 1000pix.jpg
Rue Lighthouse abeam

IMG_5691 1000pix.jpg
Rathlin Island falling astern

IMG_5697 1000pix.jpg
Fairhead looks impressive and has a similar geological make up to the Giant's Causeway

IMG_5704 1000pix.jpg
I did not capture the 11.3 knots, but this was close.

RB Map 20.jpg

For anyone wanting to read the reports from the start, this is the link to first one.
Round Britian day 1

dunedin

Visit site
That's normal, I am sure we all know that. Out of interest what forecasts are you using?

Thanks for another great post.
Absolutely. Forecasts (at best) cover a general area - but expect the unexpected anywhere near steep hills, cliffs and headlands (as Concerto has found off Hoy, and plenty of cliffs and headlands round the NI coastline).

Another example yesterday morning approaching Ardnamurchan in a steady W of 7-9 knots. Had set off with yesterday’s Reef 1 still set, as precaution.
- 09:00 Wind eased further and insufficient power to get against waves - shook out reef
-09:05 Wind dropped, motoring
-09:10 Wind back, sailing on port tack
- 09:13 Rain squall from nowhere, 22 knots and headed 40 degrees towards rocks, full backstay on feathering main
- 09:15 Tacked away from shore
- 09:20 Wind and rain easing
- 09:25 Tacked back onto port
- 09:30 Reaching past Ardnamurchan in sunshine and 12 knots on the beam
A typical “day at the office” in these waters. None of this in the official forecasts, but all part of “expect the unexpected” from such headlands :)

I guess very different in low lying coastlines

Concerto

Visit site
First thing this morning I said goodbye to my friends on Roccoco as they left. Then I was off to explore Bangor, correction the City of Bangor. The marina has public access on the shoreside, so it was good for some photos. Just as I finished, the heavens opened with a stiff breeze so I stayed behind the sea wall to stay reasonably dry. Once the short shower ended, I mooched towards the shops, but the first part of the retail area had a lot of empty shops and a shopping centre. It got better the further away from the harbour I walked.

Then I headed for Bangor Castle, which is more like a elegant mansion but is now the council offices. Behind the main building in the old stable block is a small museum and cafe. Nothing maritime on display, but still interesting. Within the grounds of the castle is a beautiful walled garden. As I entered, there was a group of mainly men with the lady mayor having some photos taken, so I left them alone. The range of colours in the flower beds was one of the best I have seen.

Checking exactly where I was on google maps, I realised I was now fairly close to the Bloomfield Shopping Centre. The walk took me along some residential roads that showed lots of support for the 50th anniversary of the Ulster Volunteer Force. It seems the Troubles may never completely fade away. Finally I found out why so many of the town shops had closed, this was were the main shopping is now done. In over 2 months on my trip I had not seen anything like a shopping centre or maybe I have avoided them. I did have a good reason to visit, they had a M&S. I was out of white wine and they supply my favourite in a wine bag, so I can drink as little or much as I like (until it is empty), plus some fresh meat. For the past 2 months all I have worn is jeans, but I felt I ought to buy an extra pair of proper trousers to look smarter at times.

As I left the shopping centre I got a surprise at the roundabout. The walk back just over 2 miles on the most direct route back to the boat. Definitely feel the 18,000 steps and nearly 8 miles I have taken today. Perhaps I should have used my bike, so once back onboard my feet had enough of walking on pavements. It was time to put my feet up and read a book after checking the forums.

IMG_5713 1000pix.jpg
Roccoco leaving

IMG_5714 1000pix.jpg
Concerto is bow on and smaller than the locals

IMG_5716 1000pix.jpg
Can you spot Concerto?

IMG_5718 1000pix.jpg
Same question

IMG_5722 1000pix.jpg
Bangor Castle

IMG_5723 1000pix.jpg
A model of Bangor Castle in the museum made of................................................sugar cubes!

IMG_5725 1000pix.jpg
Central arched walk in the walled garden

IMG_5726 1000pix.jpg
Deep border full of colourful plants

IMG_5729 900pix.jpg
Poppies and cornflowers

IMG_5730 1000pix.jpg
Encroaching on the pathway

IMG_5731 1000pix.jpg
Slightly Mediterranean feel

IMG_5732 1000pix.jpg
Not sure these buoys are any good for navigation

dgadee

Visit site
I moved over to near Bangor nearly 40 years ago. They had plans for central Bangor then and I presume still have them now. Now in Edinburgh and Princes St has gone the same way. Planners!

Take your bike to Donaghadee for ice cream at the Cabin.