Round Britain and Ireland Race

dunedin

Visit site
Sounds like a very talented sailor (winning anything at national level in a Topper, one of the biggest and most competitive junior classes is a huge achievement on its own) and wish her well with this initiative.
What boat is she doing the RBIR in?

PS. Coming from a non sailing family, she is also a great exemplar for the RYA and it’s Onboard scheme introducing young sailers

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I would do some 'homework' on the stop over at Castle Bay on Barra.

Traditionbally, the 48 hour stop over there (between two pretty tough legs) has frequently coincided with strong southerly winds that have meant that far from being a restful enforced break, it's been a nightmare of dragging anchors, no sleep and difficult working conditions on the boat. Obviously the new floating docks have been built recently, but I would find out how many berths are going to be available, how many boats might be there at the same time and the rules about bucking out to the anchorage on Vatersay if it does become untenable.

Some people seem to just assume the 'stop overs' are going to be well sheltered, well supplied and well resourced. Any successful plan for the RBIR should assume that Castle Bay might be none of these.

savageseadog

Visit site
Food is ultra important. We had a supply of Wayfayrer boil in the bag meals for our Fastnet race. No pans, plates or washing up.

zoidberg

Visit site
Food is ultra important. We had a supply of Wayfayrer boil in the bag meals for our Fastnet race. No pans, plates or washing up.

So also is drink.

I'm pleased to note that Galway and Lerwick feature, with enough time/distance afterwards to catch up on sleep before the next 'non-stop party'....

:cool:

flaming

Visit site
One of our delivery crew is planning to compete as part of the youngest ever female duo to enter the Round Britain & Ireland Race:

Round Britain and Ireland Race

At just 19 years old, this will be an amazing achievement. What are your top tips to help her with this challenge?

Pete
My top tip is to drop Pip Hare and Dee Caffari a line and ask them for their top tips. I have a sneaking suspicion their tips would be a lot more use than mine....
I also have a sneaking suspicion that in both cases help would be forthcoming.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Barra is no longer a stopover. Tis now Plymouth / Galway / Lerwick / Blyth / Plymouth.
Wow, that is quite a change. They say it makes the legs more balanced, but I think Blyth to Plymouth at the end is going to be a challenge. Most tactical, most congested, most tired!