Roll me over....

zoidberg

Visit site
This shot of the St Ives boat was taken, I understand, yesterday/Wednesday. Note the jetskier behind....

50544300378_a3b1876017_o.jpg

I'm reminded of the work of the Wolfson Unit which established, if I recall correctly, that a breaking wave of height 55% of vessel's length is capable of capsizing the vessel, and a breaking wave two-thirds of the boat's length WILL capsize it, if caught beam-on..

I reckon that breaking sea above, just off the Cornish coast, would roll most of the boats owned by members here.
o_O

lustyd

Visit site
Terrific photo. The coast off St Ives has various rock formations which would account for the large wave but potentially would have been quite safe where the boat is and more so closer to the beach. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to have been out there, but it's not necessarily the case that that wave would come near the boat.

penberth3

Visit site
This shot of the St Ives boat was taken, I understand, yesterday/Wednesday. Note the jetskier behind....

50544300378_a3b1876017_o.jpg

I'm reminded of the work of the Wolfson Unit which established, if I recall correctly, that a breaking wave of height 55% of vessel's length is capable of capsizing the vessel, and a breaking wave two-thirds of the boat's length WILL capsize it, if caught beam-on..

I reckon that breaking sea above, just off the Cornish coast, would roll most of the boats owned by members here.
o_O

The jet skier is a lifeguard. Shown more clearly on other photos. This was when 7 people were swept off the beach.

jimi

Visit site
Been there?Used to surf the winter waves on the N coast of Cornwall and Devon. South coast on reefs at Porthleven and Kimmeridge. Closest I’ve been to killing myself. Power in the waves is awesome. No place for a boat