Rods Eyot Islanders charged to moor on Henley Bank

Scapegoat

Visit site
Also, the residents on the island all (mostly at least) have moorings on the Wargrave Road where they also have car parking.
It seems that Rod Eyot falls outside Henley Council (South Oxfordshire) and is in Wokingham - presumably the Henley Councillors are not worried about losing their votes

Chris_d

Visit site
£290 for unlimited use of Mill and Marsh Meadow moorings seems like a good deal to me, considering they were basically getting away with not paying before due to the wardens turning a blind eye. On this occasion you can't blame DE, some of the Island boats are moored there for long periods.

DWT

Visit site
Interesting. I get the impression the residents there feel they should have unfettered access to the Henley bank. Last year we moored opposite the island and a lady coming across in her small boat was a bit snooty because it appears we were in "her" space. I offered to make more room for her, but she backtracked a bit and said no, we were ok and was able to land further along.

The rather angry gentleman who believes he has a right to free mooring on the towpath may get a shock if he tries to take legal action as threatened.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I do still wonder which byelaw the council are thinking of using to enforce the mooring regulations.

Have not looked into it so my suggestion that the council may be acting ultra vires could be entirely wrong.

I actually think it is an incredibly funny situation where you get a selection of residents moaning about the moorings opposite where they live then when someone attempts to do something about it by taking money to deter the ne'er do wells and includes those residents paying at an enormous discount they moan even more!

Nobody holds a gun to your head and says "buy a property on an island with a public park opposite with moorings".

There are other ways to spend your hundreds of thousands !

oldgit

Visit site
Just out of interest.
What ever happened to the chap who came on here and vehemently disputed the EA right to levy a registration on vessels moored in marinas, back waters and private cuts .
If memory serves and it was difficult to ascertain, he was from the houseboat section of the Thames community.
Would love to know if he was satisfied with the final outcome .

EA Thames Registration

Whitlock

Visit site
Just out of interest.
What ever happened to the chap who came on here and vehemently disputed the EA right to levy a registration on vessels moored in marinas, back waters and private cuts .
If memory serves and it was difficult to ascertain, he was from the houseboat section of the Thames community.
Would love to know if he was satisfied with the final outcome .

EA Thames Registration
If you mean the group at Thames and Kennet Marina, they lost their case, had to pay their backdated licences and were faced with a legal bill of £35,000.

oldgit

Visit site
If you mean the group at Thames and Kennet Marina, they lost their case, had to pay their backdated licences and were faced with a legal bill of £35,000.

Difficult to feel any sympathy and if everybody decided they were a special case .........

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Been out in the Henley area and there was a curious setup at the downstream end of the Hennerton. Loads of people walking about in white clothes. Quite an organised looking party/mini festival with a lot of lights and general activity.

Curious to know what the white clothes are all about.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
A bit of googling reveals that Templecombe, which I think owns that bit of River bank at the confluence of the Hennerton, has some sort of druid connection. And druids wear white.

So perhaps it was a druid themed party.

Or perhaps a nurse theme as the character suggested above is a NHS worker.

Anyway it looked very well set up.