Roaming charges are back

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I have a local SIM, but it's imperative I keep my UK mobile number for authentication purposes (bank, etc...).
To this end, I have a giffgaff PAYG SIM.

That's the main use for my UK mobile, it's only switched on to receive pin/security codes. If I start to get charged for receiving those, will update account details to have them sent to local phone instead.

Hoolie

Visit site
I have a local SIM, but it's imperative I keep my UK mobile number for authentication purposes (bank, etc...).
To this end, I have a giffgaff PAYG SIM.
That only works if you spend no more than 63 days at a time out of the UK. Then Giffgaff will cut you off, as will Three. If that's likely you're better to choose an operator that applies a surcharge and doesn't cut you off.

Hoolie

Visit site
I dont remember how long it was. Obvious workaround is to have two or more SIMs active before leaving UK.
That won't work either. If you leave them on, even intermittently, they'll both be cut off. If you keep one as a spare without using it, the number risks being cancelled due to lack of use.

Hoolie

Visit site
I've just had notice one of my French SIMs will soon be cancelled as it hasn't been used for three months. A nuisance really as I am in the UK and due to my carelessness the SIM is in France. :(

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
That only works if you spend no more than 63 days at a time out of the UK. Then Giffgaff will cut you off, as will Three. If that's likely you're better to choose an operator that applies a surcharge and doesn't cut you off.

I would like to differ.
Haven't set foot in the UK for nearly two years now (since the start of this Covid madness), and haven't been cut off.
In fact, just had my daughter call me (from the UK) on my UK number to verify it still worked.

AndersG

Visit site
I would like to differ.
Haven't set foot in the UK for nearly two years now (since the start of this Covid madness), and haven't been cut off.
In fact, just had my daughter call me (from the UK) on my UK number to verify it still worked.
If you have a goodybag they say they will charge you extra for roaming after a while and in my experience they do.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
If you have a goodybag they say they will charge you extra for roaming after a while and in my experience they do.

Don't have a goodybag.
Don't USE the phone - only have it to receive the odd SMS (see #202).
Just recharge the absolute PAYG minimum from time to time as it would seem your credit expires after a while.

syvictoria

Visit site
I don't think they bother checking where you are unless they only see a lot of calls constantly made when roaming.

Unfortunately, 'they' is a computer and 'it' knows as soon as your phone picks up a foreign network. Any usage threshold's set will be automatically triggered and (at least initially) handled by the computerised system too.

Hoolie

Visit site
I would like to differ.
I seem to recall tales of people being cut-off by Giffgaff, but clearly it works for you as you haven't been cut off yet. I was cut off by Three after about 16 months of being in France for the same reason! I suppose to be fair I do have an active Giffgaff SIM in my laptop - texting works but I don't think I've ever had PAYG data in France; the connection just doesn't authenticate. When I go back to France I'll leave some data on an active Goodybag and see if that works.

bendyone

Visit site
Having left Vodafone to go to Voxi who included EU roaming they will now charge from the end of May . I am now going to 1Pmobile £15 for 30 Day 50GB data with a 14GB EU roaming limit then 1p a MB, uses the EE network in the UK.

Bobc

Visit site
Having left Vodafone to go to Voxi who included EU roaming they will now charge from the end of May . I am now going to 1Pmobile £15 for 30 Day 50GB data with a 14GB EU roaming limit then 1p a MB, uses the EE network in the UK.
Why not just move to O2. They have clearly stated that they will be including roaming long-term, and if you enter into a new contract with them, they are obliged to continue with those terms for the contract length. They include a max of 25GB roaming per month.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Yes, we've been with VOXI for ages and get 100GB/ 30 days in UK. I knew we'd be restricted to 20GB in EU and might have some moderate charges after 2.5 months in Greece. Voxi used to say we'd get at least 2 weeks notice via SMS after 2 months. I had a text on 25th April to let me know it was changing from 27th May. I'll need to pay 2x£15 plus my £20 to get 20GB for 30 days. I suspect there will be other problems after 2 months in Greece.

I'm cancelling Voxi in a couple of weeks. :D

I thought I'd get a free Greek Vodafone SIM and pay 20 euro for 40GB locally. That won't work as I'd need a Greek tax number and it will be 20 euro for the SIM plus 20 euro for 16GB/30 days. I might try Frog and switch if Vodafone do their usual cheaper option later.

Our O2 phones are still fine on Classic Pay & Go. I've called UK, Greek and Swedish numbers from Greece and charged 3p/minute. No sign of them charging for roaming but we will run into their 2 month restriction. They mention a charge but all searches so far just go around in circles to the same pages stating they might charge. A small excess per call would be fine but a blanket daily charge wouldn't work well to just receive the odd call. We have backup O2 SIMS but will probably fall foul of average usage in UK/Greece over 4 months.

My Android phone was using data every day on O2, even with all roaming turned off. I eventually tracked it down to the OS and installed some software to stop all data usage.

Last edited:

oldbloke

Visit site
At home we have no mobile reception and I use my mobile, including for authentication, through "Wi-Fi calling" on the house broadband.
It may be that if you prevent your phone from roaming and just use it through the Internet you can continue to use it to an extent. Then just get a local phone for when you need a mobile phone

Sailfree

Visit site
Just to reiterate. We have cancelled our contracts with Three for both our mobiles and taken out SIM only contracts with Virgin that use the O2 network. I believe these are the only 2 mobile operators that still offer free roaming - for now!

If people switch to them it might make other mobile companies reconsider their position ref free EU roaming charges.

I have bought a dual SIM Samsung and it allows me to pick which SIM to use for what call (Virgin for UK and Portuguese Vodafone for local calls) I try to use Internet eg Whats App for most outgoing UK calls but good to know we can easily still receive calls from UK.

I do think charges after Brexit are a con as I can't remember any company posting a loss after the EU insisted no roaming charges within the EU.