Roaming charges are back

nortada

Visit site
I have just ditched Three and gone onto GiffGaff (who use O2).
I had been with Three for much longer than I can remember, most recently on a 30 day rolling contract. Never had any problems during extended stays abroad or at home.
As others have said, I received an email from Three telling me that they were ’putting‘ me on a new rolling contract which DID NOT include ‘free’ roaming abroad (£2pd). GiffGaff (and O2) are still offering ‘free’ roaming abroad.
I wonder when Three eventually realise that they are losing quite a few customers…
I was with GiffGaff for a short while. Great in the UK but not so good for overseas as data was expensive.

If Three ‘put me onto a new rolling contract which doesn’t include ‘free’ roaming they will become history. When moving from Three to another provider is it possible to retain your current phone number❓

dslittle

Visit site
I was with GiffGaff for a short while. Great in the UK but not so good for overseas as data was expensive.

If Three ‘put me onto a new rolling contract which doesn’t include ‘free’ roaming they will become history. When moving from Three to another provider is it possible to retain your current phone number❓

GiffGaff ‘goodybags’ include their data whilst roaming. Friends from the UK, who we often sail in company with in France, have used GiffGaff for some time and find it good.

Porting my number (I’ve had it a VERY long time) across only required a text for a PAC No (text to 65075) and setting the date. It hasn’t actually happened yet as I set the transfer date for the end of this month but the request was easy and I have no doubt that it will transfer across smoothly (famous last words…)

DO check your emails from Three. If I had not done so, I would have been on a more expensive contract for exactly the same data in the UK BUT £2pd roaming in the EU!!! I believe that roaming charges will come in for ALL Three contracts from May.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I've been browsing the various providers and it seems GiffGaff have similar restrictions for those who spend most of their time outside the UK

You may only use our services in the EU and selected destinations (excluding the UK) for periodic travel, like holidays or short breaks..........
What to avoid:
Using our services for the first time outside of the UK, using a large volume of your allowance (be that text, calls or data) in the EU and our other selected destinations (excluding the UK), or using our services and travelling within the EU and our other selected destinations (excluding the UK) for prolonged periods which don’t follow reasonable consumer holiday and travel patterns and behaviour. If you use our services outside the UK in the EU and our other selected destinations for 63 or more days in any four-month period and you cannot demonstrate prevailing use or presence in the UK this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services. When this happens charges will apply (see below), but we will always contact you 14 days before this time to make you aware of this. These charges will cease to apply when your behaviour is in accordance with this policy.

nortada

Visit site
GiffGaff ‘goodybags’ include their data whilst roaming. Friends from the UK, who we often sail in company with in France, have used GiffGaff for some time and find it good.

Porting my number (I’ve had it a VERY long time) across only required a text for a PAC No (text to 65075) and setting the date. It hasn’t actually happened yet as I set the transfer date for the end of this month but the request was easy and I have no doubt that it will transfer across smoothly (famous last words…)

DO check your emails from Three. If I had not done so, I would have been on a more expensive contract for exactly the same data in the UK BUT £2pd roaming in the EU!!! I believe that roaming charges will come in for ALL Three contracts from May.
It is my understanding that whilst a provider can cancel a contract and offer a new contract, without your approval, they cannot just sign you up.

If they try that, why not just cancel the proposed new contract and the DD❓

(My #102). Understand that all new contracts (post Oct 21) will attract roaming charges from 23 May 22.

As all of our contracts pre-date Oct 21, it will be interesting to see what happens come this May.

dslittle, MANY lTHANKS FOR THE TIMELY WARNING. We will advise any outcome.

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
I've been browsing the various providers and it seems GiffGaff have similar restrictions for those who spend most of their time outside the UK

You may only use our services in the EU and selected destinations (excluding the UK) for periodic travel, like holidays or short breaks..........
What to avoid:
Using our services for the first time outside of the UK, using a large volume of your allowance (be that text, calls or data) in the EU and our other selected destinations (excluding the UK), or using our services and travelling within the EU and our other selected destinations (excluding the UK) for prolonged periods which don’t follow reasonable consumer holiday and travel patterns and behaviour. If you use our services outside the UK in the EU and our other selected destinations for 63 or more days in any four-month period and you cannot demonstrate prevailing use or presence in the UK this is likely to be deemed to be an unfair use of our services. When this happens charges will apply (see below), but we will always contact you 14 days before this time to make you aware of this. These charges will cease to apply when your behaviour is in accordance with this policy.

I’m only speaking from personal experience of, generally, less than 63 days away at a time. We do return to the UK periodically which may well reset the clock.

Our friends have been away (historically) for longer than 63 days without a problem - that may well change BUT it’s still much better than Three’s new policy.

dslittle

Visit site
It is my understanding that whilst a provider can cancel a contract and offer a new contract, without your approval, they cannot just sign you up.

If they try that, why not just cancel the proposed new contract and the DD❓

(#102). My understanding that all new contracts (post Oct 21) will attract roaming charges from May 22.

Part of the email I got (remember, I was on a 30 day rolling contract)

‘We update our plans from time to time and can no longer offer you a plan on our current terms. Please refer to our latest Terms and Conditions which apply from 1st October 2021.*’

dslittle

Visit site
Part of the email I got (remember, I was on a 30 day rolling contract). I could have argued that it was an existing contract but it wasn’t worth the hassle for me - it was easier to move.

‘We update our plans from time to time and can no longer offer you a plan on our current terms. Please refer to our latest Terms and Conditions which apply from 1st October 2021.*’…
’You’re currently on a 1 month rolling plan of 30GB of data, Unlimited minutes, and Unlimited texts.’

nortada

Visit site
Part of the email I got (remember, I was on a 30 day rolling contract)

‘We update our plans from time to time and can no longer offer you a plan on our current terms. Please refer to our latest Terms and Conditions which apply from 1st October 2021.*’
My understanding is that once the period for your contract is completed (12/months), Three put you on a 30 day rolling contract, with the same terms, for as long as you wish to continue paying your monthly tariff.

True, Three have already moved the goalposts so it will be interesting to see what happens when my contract comes to an end in March. If we are put on to 30 day rolling contract, with roaming charges, we will cancel these rolling contracts and look else where.

Because there is plenty of free data all over the Algarve, all we need is a method of staying in touch with folk.

Now that other providers have decided not to reintroduce roaming charges, possibly Three will have a rethink.

Especially, where their USP is free roaming worldwide.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
My understanding is that once the period for your contract is completed (12/14 months), Three put you on a 30 day rolling contract, with the same terms, for as long as you wish to continue paying your monthly tariff.

True, Three have already moved the goalposts so it will be interesting to see what happens when my contract comes to an end in March.

Now that other providers have decided not to reintroduce roaming charges, possibly Three will have a rethink.

That’s what I thought, and why I rang them up… They have since recommended me to move to Smarty because they’re cheaper - I know, Smarty runs on the Three Network!!!

st599

Visit site
GiffGaff ‘goodybags’ include their data whilst roaming. Friends from the UK, who we often sail in company with in France, have used GiffGaff for some time and find it good
GiffGaff and other virtual providers buy huge blocks of access from other providers (02 in this case).

The question is not whether they offer roaming now, but if they offer it once they negotiate their next block of access.

dslittle

Visit site
GiffGaff and other virtual providers buy huge blocks of access from other providers (02 in this case).

The question is not whether they offer roaming now, but if they offer it once they negotiate their next block of access.

Errr, isn't that the case with any provider? As I said, I was with Three. They changed their terms (as they are entitled to). I left.

I am just giving real time feedback on MY current situation. I do not have a crystal ball and I have absolutely no idea of what any of the Networks will do in the future.

If anyone can answer your question I, for one, will be very interested in the answer…

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

What to avoid:

I posted terms for ASDA mobile in October and they had similar conditions but a 4 month period. I don't know if they've changed but didn't spot any modified terms.
Roaming charges are back

st599

Visit site
Errr, isn't that the case with any provider? As I said, I was with Three.
No, it's not. Three own the infrastructure in the UK, Austria, Sweden, Denmark and Ireland and the umbrella group own telecoms in Australia, Italy, Vietnam, and Hong Kong.
They could have traded access to their networks for cheap access to other networks.

Hoolie

Visit site
As stated above I've ditched Three in favour of Lebara. I did consider Giffgaff but they have form for cutting you off when exceeding their roaming time limit. On the other hand Lebara define their limits differently. Here's an extract from their T's & C's.

Roaming in Europe:
Communications made from a European Economic Area (EEA) country to another EEA country are charged at domestic rates. Data usage is also charged within the EEA as if you were in the United Kingdom. If you are using a SIM only plan or a Pay as You Go bundle, usage will be deducted from your allowance. For some plans or bundles the use of data allowance might be subject to a fair use policy. If your roaming usage in the EU is greater than your in-country (UK) home usage in a given 120 day period, a surcharge will be applied on voice and SMS services. The applicable surcharge is 0.20p/MB for data , 0.04P/sec for outgoing calls, 0.01P/sec for incoming calls and 0.8p for sending an SMS.

It looks more flexible for longer trips away from the UK, but time will tell. At least they don't threaten to cut you off like Three and Giffgaff!

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
As stated above I've ditched Three in favour of Lebara. I did consider Giffgaff but they have form for cutting you off when exceeding their roaming time limit. On the other hand Lebara define their limits differently. Here's an extract from their T's & C's.

Roaming in Europe:
Communications made from a European Economic Area (EEA) country to another EEA country are charged at domestic rates. Data usage is also charged within the EEA as if you were in the United Kingdom. If you are using a SIM only plan or a Pay as You Go bundle, usage will be deducted from your allowance. For some plans or bundles the use of data allowance might be subject to a fair use policy. If your roaming usage in the EU is greater than your in-country (UK) home usage in a given 120 day period, a surcharge will be applied on voice and SMS services. The applicable surcharge is 0.20p/MB for data , 0.04P/sec for outgoing calls, 0.01P/sec for incoming calls and 0.8p for sending an SMS.

It looks more flexible for longer trips away from the UK, but time will tell. At least they don't threaten to cut you off like Three and Giffgaff!
Sounds similar to the ASDA terms in the Oct. post I linked to in #192. They stated 4 months before you'd be asked to prove you were still a UK resident. Additional charges would be applied if you couldn't provide such evidence within a two week period after their request.

I remember being cut-off by Three back in the bad old days even though I'd elected to pay full whack for calls (on their advice).:D

Being able to receive the odd call and choosing to pay a surcharge for a few outgoing calls is a much better idea for my type of usage. I'm lucky to make and receive one call per week in Greece. It makes no sense to pay £14 per week on off chance of getting a call.

AndersG

Visit site

Giffgaff has a cap of 20GB/month for roaming except for the always on goodybag that limits data rate to 384Kbps from 8am to midnight after reaching 20GB.
They also disable roaming after you been outside UK for a while.