Roaming charges are back

nortada

Visit site
Although our circumstances have changed, currently we are back in Portugal.

When we landed 3 confirmed that we still have roaming so unlimited calls & texts and up to 12 GBts per 30 day period.

Provided we do not change/update our contracts this roaming deal will continue ad-infinitem.

As there are plenty of good sources free internet in Lagos and free VPN works well, this will more than meet our needs.

dslittle

Visit site
Just to reiterate. We have cancelled our contracts with Three for both our mobiles and taken out SIM only contracts with Virgin that use the O2 network. I believe these are the only 2 mobile operators that still offer free roaming - for now!

If people switch to them it might make other mobile companies reconsider their position ref free EU roaming charges.

I do think charges after Brexit are a con as I can't remember any company posting a loss after the EU insisted no roaming charges within the EU.

We have done exactly the same… After being with Three since they started (too long to remember) we have moved our contracts to GiffGaff who use the O2 network for the same reasons.

I‘m not holding my breathe about future usage, as ALL of the Operators originally stated that they would not be introducing roaming charges after Brexit, but I’m hopeful that O2 will continue with their ‘promise’ not to.

Even with our extended time abroad, we didn’t use much data so I should think that all of this is to Three’s loss after literally years of taking my monthly payments (no complaint from me). It does seem to be a bit of a shame but hey-ho.

Sailfree

Visit site
Although our circumstances have changed, currently we are back in Portugal.

When we landed 3 confirmed that we still have roaming so unlimited calls & texts and up to 12 GBts per 30 day period.

Provided we do not change/update our contracts this roaming deal will continue ad-infinitem.

As there are plenty of good sources free internet in Lagos and free VPN works well, this will more than meet our needs.

When I checked with Three they said there will be charges from a certain date and "fair usage" applied. I have been with Three for some 8yrs.

I was talking to one expat that lives in Portugal last Thursday and he is in dispute with Three as they cut off his service/free EU roaming in January 22 but still invoicing him monthly for his contract. He is refusing to pay as he can't use his phone.

Nortada may be OK as he is in a similar position to a holidaymaker but Three are terminating contract for people who permanently live in the EU.

I do blitz my free minutes and use mobile network whenever I'm in UK on brief visit and try to only use UK SIM for receiving calls here.

While Virgin still have free roaming its still subject to "fair usage".

Bouba

Visit site
Vodafone UK PAYGO now demanding a "bundle" is purchased at silly prices to make calls but can still receive calls and texts. We mainly use Whatsapp on local phone so not too much of a problem.
You gotta think that the roaming charges have nothing to do with B... but loss of profits from WhatsApp and their ilk

Davy_S

Visit site
We are in Greece at the mo, using giffgaff on two phones, 3gig roaming for 8 quid for each phone, no problems at all, plus we have wifi in the pad, its enough fot our needs.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
That looks good.
By the way, our UK Plus Net SIMs are still working perfectly, and we've been in the EU continuously since the start of the year.

We've had Plusnet home broadband and phone for a few years and just switched my UK mobile to them after Voda PAYG wanted £8 for bundle for 7 days in EU. Plusnet mobile, £8p.m for unlimited calls and texts and 7GB data, rolling 1 month contract. Don't need more data as we have unlimited 4G mobile data €1/day and wife has Portuguese basic phone contract.

billskip

Visit site
Welcome to the sweet smell of Brexit Benefits. It cost me over £100 pounds for roaming in France for the family holiday this year (4 mobiles). The only smell I think it is, is shite.

Brexshit - the gift that keeps taking.
Poor you ...when my dad took us on holiday we didn't have phones...try leaving them at home and go on a real holiday....

Stingo

Visit site
We've had Plusnet home broadband and phone for a few years and just switched my UK mobile to them after Voda PAYG wanted £8 for bundle for 7 days in EU. Plusnet mobile, £8p.m for unlimited calls and texts and 7GB data, rolling 1 month contract. Don't need more data as we have unlimited 4G mobile data €1/day and wife has Portuguese basic phone contract.
Plus Net sounds good. GiffGaff recently sent me an email that with all sorts of threats which made me thing I should never ever renew with them again.

Do you have a referral link to Plus Net?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Plus Net sounds good. GiffGaff recently sent me an email that with all sorts of threats which made me thing I should never ever renew with them again.

Do you have a referral link to Plus Net?

No referral link but the sims are here, they do have a fair use policy but as we use in UK as well as Portugal, should be OK. My phone is only switched on when I want to use it anyway, for local calls and Whatsapp we use wife's Pt phone. 30 Day SIM Only Deals - Rolling Contract | Plusnet Mobile

dgadee

Visit site
Welcome to the sweet smell of Brexit Benefits. It cost me over £100 pounds for roaming in France for the family holiday this year (4 mobiles). The only smell I think it is, is shite.

Brexshit - the gift that keeps taking.

Our £10 a month phones both work in EU at no extra cost. Do better research and save yourself money. Oh, and read Larry Elliott in the Guardian.

dgadee

Visit site
We spend 4 or 5 months abroad but my complaint is home broadband. £27 a month with Virgin just used for browsing and email when we are there. That was an intro offer and is about to rise substantially. City centre now has free wifi which claims to be fast and we are in that city centre. Going back home I may see if we can do without a broadband connection and use a dedicated mobile.

This whole comms setup seems to be based on users of Netflix and football channels. These mobile companies are probably cross subsidising, rather than it being purely brexit. Someone has to pay for broadcasting rights.