Roaming charges are back

Bouba

Visit site
They were going to include at no extra charge for getting a new phone from them. I just dread the having to set up the apps again with a new phone, especially the banking ones. Took me ages when an update mucked up Bluetooth a few years back and I had to do a reset.
The phone shop transferred all my apps and photos to the new phone when I bought it..seamless

doug748

Visit site
Lebara uk considers the channel Islands as roaming. Only £14.99 per Mb and calls at £3.50 per min! EU roaming is free. Guess they are trying to rip off the unwary..

Further to this. I have found Labara works seamlessly in the EU and UK (as a I assume it does in a wide range of other countries). However the Channel Islands stops it dead, without explanation. Eventually I found they wanted a minimum of £20 to establish a service, even when still in credit. At the rates shown above.
It is easier and cheaper to get a local card.

Shame really because I have found Labara to be an exceptionally efficient outfit to deal with. So, still looking for the perfect inexpensive alternative.

saxonpirate

Visit site
Must say I echo your sentiments on Lebara.. in the UK and Europe anyway. No problems whatsoever. I have both a UK and French sim and both are a pretty good deal with good service/reception in the majority of places. Its SMARTY (offshoot of 3 mobile and use their network) that I have a beef about. Always a good signal wherever I go, but the bandwidth in UK is appalling.. they've just got to be overloaded. Down to 16kb a second at times using 4G (Windows 95 speeds) and they throttle too.. :(

syvictoria

Visit site
Must say I echo your sentiments on Lebara.. in the UK and Europe anyway. No problems whatsoever. I have both a UK and French sim and both are a pretty good deal with good service/reception in the majority of places. Its SMARTY (offshoot of 3 mobile and use their network) that I have a beef about. Always a good signal wherever I go, but the bandwidth in UK is appalling.. they've just got to be overloaded. Down to 16kb a second at times using 4G (Windows 95 speeds) and they throttle too.. :(

I also agree re Lebara. But I have to counter on Smarty. We've so far had no issues with speeds, UK or Europe (I can't give you figures, but we're happily browsing and streaming). It's a pity that their roaming data allowance is a little mean at just 12GB.

doug748

Visit site
I also agree re Lebara. But I have to counter on Smarty. We've so far had no issues with speeds, UK or Europe (I can't give you figures, but we're happily browsing and streaming). It's a pity that their roaming data allowance is a little mean at just 12GB.

I see Smarty has the same snag as Labara in that you have to buy an "add on" if you go to the Channel Isles. However it is much, much cheaper to use and you get credit for anything unused, so it looks a winner.

Someone also pointed out that Labara hits you with big charges for certain UK business numbers: Lebara hidden charges

Has anyone spotted any other hidden problems with Smarty?

syvictoria

Visit site
I see Smarty has the same snag as Labara in that you have to buy an "add on" if you go to the Channel Isles. However it is much, much cheaper to use and you get credit for anything unused, so it looks a winner.

Someone also pointed out that Labara hits you with big charges for certain UK business numbers: Lebara hidden charges

Has anyone spotted any other hidden problems with Smarty?

Reading through the linked thread, the Lebara user seemed to be unable to back up their claim! I haven't ever had any problems calling any numbers that I would expect to be included in the normal 'free' allowance on either Lebara or Smarty.

PrimeTraveller

Visit site
We used Popit Mobile in France & Spain for the first time last month and had no issues. They do require UK usage as well so if you're looking for a sole roaming SIM, this may not work for you but we've used it several times this year when we've travelled to Scotland and can say that it worked well for us.

One to consider..

Jules W

www.sailblogs.com
Hi
I am not sure if this is well known or not but we use EE. We were existing customers and around the date of Brexit we went into the local EE shop and explained that we lived on the boat in the Mediterranean for 6 months each year. They sorted out a package for us. Since then it has been great. We pay £25 per month inc vat and now get 250 GB with free roaming including calls to uk and to EU. Through our fire stick that does about 3 tv shows each night if we want. I recommend them as we haven’t had to worry about foreign SIM cards since. I think the channel isles are included but haven’t been for two years so would need to check
Regards