Road trailer for a Fireball

Edk

Visit site
I'm pretty new to all of this, what I do know is that I am the proud new owner of a 15ft Fireball Dinghy. what I also know is the trailer is knackered.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what sort of road trailer I need and where I can get a used one at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

ashtead

Visit site
Maybe try a local sailing club notice board ? I guess not many unattached trailers out there as the grp fireballs at least are fairly robust if damp . Is there not a fireball owners association still in existence ?

oldbloke

Visit site
Most dinghies would have a launching trolley which docks onto a road trailer, usually called a combi. Launching trolleys are pretty simple and cheap. A trolley for anything 14' and over will be ok. Because of the fireballs unique shape you might need to adapt the supports to fit. The easiest and best is a wooden cradle ,cut to shape and covered with carpet/pipe lagging / astroturf. The base road trailers come in a couple of sizes and are not boat specific. Road trailers are not great for launching, too heavy and high off the ground and wheel bearings dont like immersion esp in salty sandy water

ashtead

Visit site
The size of a road trailer for a dinghy rather depends on your towing range/route-you can tow a fireball on road trip for example a short distance of say a mile or so on a mirror dinghy road trailer but I would not recommend it for longer trips - I rather suspect it might not that legal or good for the dinghy though .