RNLI

JumbleDuck

Visit site
For a starting point I’m amazed that there are a 130 staff at head office that the RNLI have now worked out they don’t need, how did it ever get to the point that there were so many nonproductive staff anyway.

Where did "at head office" come from? The RYA's own news item doesn't say where the redundancies are.

chanelyacht

Visit site
I would guess the recent expansion in Lifeguard activities has taken a lot of cash.
They've buit a lot of posh huts and annoyed a few people.

Nope - the lifeguard services is paid for by the beach owners, mainly local authorities, usually after being scared witless by RNLI "risk assessments" for liabilities for drownings if there isn't cover. The lifeguards are a very profitable activity for the RNLI - which is why they were so quick to bully many surf lifesaving clubs off the beaches.

They also use it as an excuse to have their fundraising chuggers - sorry, "lifesaving advisors" on the beaches.

scotty123

Visit site
Ask Boris Johnson, he's in charge, but I suspect the reason is he does not want to put up taxes to pay for the many more ships and staff it would need, his priority is to build a bridge to Northern Ireland

Boris can't get France to pay for more ships & its on their side the problem starts.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
So why, if that easily spotted & reported, are they getting to UK coastline, surely they will have been seen much before the TSS/shipping lanes on the French side & then stopped/rescued?

I have no idea and I have no idea why you are asking me. This has nothing to do with our discussion about use of the RNLI as a border force vis a vis a rescue service so I will butt out.

scotty123

Visit site
Nope - the lifeguard services is paid for by the beach owners, mainly local authorities, usually after being scared witless by RNLI "risk assessments" for liabilities for drownings if there isn't cover. The lifeguards are a very profitable activity for the RNLI - which is why they were so quick to bully many surf lifesaving clubs off the beaches.

They also use it as an excuse to have their fundraising chuggers - sorry, "lifesaving advisors" on the beaches.

Latest allegations, from The Times,
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rnli-funding-burkinis-for-africans-while-cutting-jobs-tnctwwl7d

Seajet

Visit site

I think this policy has the potential to if not sink the RNLI, severely dent its image and income, probably forever; this is not what British donors expect their money to go on - with donations already declining due to demographic reasons, this is a hooting mad policy, do the RNLI top bods fancy themselves as government diplomats / UN ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I think this policy has the potential to if not sink the RNLI, severely dent its image and income, probably forever; this is not what British donors expect their money to go on ...

True, but how much of their money do they expect to go on tows for leisure sailors who can't be bothered to do engine maintenance?

lw395

Visit site
True, but how much of their money do they expect to go on tows for leisure sailors who can't be bothered to do engine maintenance?

Most of the cost is for them to be there. The additional cost of them doing something is probably small?

awol

Visit site
Reducing drowning deaths worldwide strikes me as laudable. Enabling women, who otherwise would not have the opportunity, to learn to swim by providing culturally acceptable swimwear also seems laudable. Unfortunately, the headlines that programme has generated in our press tend to prey on xenophobic tendencies and bring out similar responses from some forum contributors.

Seajet

Visit site
awol,

it's very simple; the people who donate towards the RNLI do not expect idiotic virtue signalling like this and getting into international politics.

I know three people who are going to remove the RNLI from their wills because of this, and the news is less than a day old...

Seajet

Visit site
But it is not their job to meddle in overseas politics and religion.

If it's so OK, let's see the RNLI announce this clearly in all their material inc pubs and chugging collection boxes and see how well it goes down...

And Jumbleduck, saving by towing yotties - and fishermen and mobo drivers - with engine breakdowns is exactly what most people expect them to be doing.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
And Jumbleduck, saving by towing yotties - and fishermen and mobo drivers - with engine breakdowns is exactly what most people expect them to be doing.

Bet you a fiver (to the RNLI) that it isn't. Most people expect them to be saving brave sailors and cowering passengers from the wrath of the ocean, not dropping everything on a nice day to tow in somebody without the wits to check their engine oil.

lw395

Visit site
I'm with AWOL on this.

All their overseas projects add up to £3.3m out of a £150m budget. I can't be bothered to look up the details, but I'll bet the burkinis are a tiny fraction of that £3.3m.

Most of the £3.3M will have been spent on consultations, foreign travel, desk jobs and advertising.
The actual cost of the goods probably is a tiny fraction.
Overseas projects cost millions before anything actually happens.
But £3.3M would keep a fair number of UK staff employed. The question is are the staff they are getting rid of adding value to the organisation?

Seajet

Visit site
They do that all the time for fishing boats who despite total reliance on engines are often surprisingly poorly maintained - a great many yotties, sail or power,attend engine maintenence courses, I was on a boat whose owner did this, and had his ( newish ) engine overhauled by a pro engineer over winter - the pro introduced a snag with the exhaust cooling, luckily there was enough wind to sail so we just missed our tide.

Drifting with tide onto rocks in a calm deserves a lifeboat, IMO - I don't know about the new clueless Coastguard but in the good old days if someone broke down and not in danger but in need of a tow Solent Coastguard would point them to Seastart or yards with tow boats.