Riveting a cleat onto mast

Poignard

Visit site
Another possibility that would obviate the need to drill more holes in the mast would be to have the cleats for the lazy-jack falls on the shrouds.

I have not tried this but until someone convinces me otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work.

doug748

Visit site
Source your cleats first, some have wacking great holes in them and you might find it difficult to get rivets of the right dia and length. If you have to use, say, 5mm they are not easy to pull in Monel, which is the preferred material.
Anything over that might be very difficult with your lazy tongs. There is a knack to their use and I would protect the mast around the cleat with hardboard or similar. They do go off with quite a crack, For these reasons if you do use rivets I would definitely suggest alloy for this non critical application + Duralac jointing compound and a gasket as mentioned above.

If you can't find the right combination of cleat and rivets you may be forced to drill and tap for stainless screws, not a happy engineering solution but it works.

Daverw

Visit site
I would be a little concerned that the cleat would loosen over time as the rivet stretched and you would have no way of tightening.

Stemar

Visit site
Another possibility that would obviate the need to drill more holes in the mast would be to have the cleats for the lazy-jack falls on the shrouds.

I have not tried this but until someone convinces me otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work.
I had to be able to raise and lower the LJs, so they were led back to the cockpit along with the rest of the lines, but my flag halliards went to cleats on the shrouds. I can't see why your plan wouldn't work

dunedin

Visit site
How about a simple no cleats / no rivets alternative. Tie the top of the lazy jacks off up the mast to a fixed point. Adjust at the bottom, using a round turn and two half hitches at the front-most lower attachment. Worked for us for over 10,000 miles and 500+ hoists and drops so far.
Other benefit no string tapping against the mast overnight.

NormanS

Visit site
I would be a little concerned that the cleat would loosen over time as the rivet stretched and you would have no way of tightening.
Are you equally concerned that the rivets holding all the other, and more vital, fittings on the mast, would also stretch and loosen?