River Thames Guide app - updated again

Rascal Joe

www.jeffmaynard.com
The free app River Thames Guide has been updated again with improvements to the Weather page (easier to view on small screens), moved the Ensign Strike time to home page, improved navigation for the PLA Advice on smaller screens.
The iOS (iPhone, iPod) and iPadOS (iPad) versions will roll out over the next 24 hours or so from the Apple App Store; likewise for the Android Lite version and the Amazon Fire version.; users do not need to do other than update when offered the opportunity.
Users of the Android full version will again need to install manually as before. Please note that this version, having proved troublesome for users to install and update, will not be updated after this version; installed version will continue to operate as long as the user wishes although it is recommended that the Googl Play Store version be now installed (functionality is the same) - download it here.

jct1981

Visit site
The free app River Thames Guide has been updated again with improvements to the Weather page (easier to view on small screens), moved the Ensign Strike time to home page, improved navigation for the PLA Advice on smaller screens.
The iOS (iPhone, iPod) and iPadOS (iPad) versions will roll out over the next 24 hours or so from the Apple App Store; likewise for the Android Lite version and the Amazon Fire version.; users do not need to do other than update when offered the opportunity.
Users of the Android full version will again need to install manually as before. Please note that this version, having proved troublesome for users to install and update, will not be updated after this version; installed version will continue to operate as long as the user wishes although it is recommended that the Googl Play Store version be now installed (functionality is the same) - download it here.
iOS version updating on my phone now :)

Golden Boy

Visit site
I used this app in my iPad on my recent trip upstream from Weybridge. It is an excellent aid and I found the journey planner particularly useful in planning where I needed to stop for power. Highly recommended.

Golden Boy

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback - such reports make all the effort in programming River Thames Guide (fast approaching half a million lines

I used it last year when I went up to the Trad Boat Rally at Henley . This year I loaded it on my iPad and it seemed to work in most aspects without any wi fi connection. Being electric powered my main concern was finding places to charge up. As usual and aggravated by CV it was almost impossible to contact any E.A. locks listed with charging but your guide gave the boatyards and marinas in the proximity of where I needed to recharge and I was able to pre book most places we needed. Not the best way to go boating but under these conditions it was a necessity. Above Lechlade most of the EA charge points were actually working but as we couldn’t be sure in advance we had to make alternative arrangements.
It’s probably not possible now but a listing of charge points and availability along the river would be really useful. The Electric Boat Association has a list of riverside residents willing to provide a charge but they tend to be middle section. There are lots of Restaurants, pubs, hotels, etc that have the facility and could possibly benefit from offering a charge and mooring.
I find it strange that the world is promoting electric vehicles yet the Thames has done nothing to make it a viable alternative. Having said that the quiet way we cruised up the upper stretches was delight. However not convinced electric/battery is a viable long distance option yet.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
That's really good you managed it with a decent sized electric launch.

I've got an electric canoe with a solar panel for little runs up and down the reaches but an electric boat with accomodation does sound rather good.

I'm intending to convert the toy trawler to electric at some point but being a twin screw 16 tonne steel motor cruiser it's going to need some serious charging availability.

I often think that boats like yours are the best way to do the River. It's just so Pleasant.

Golden Boy

Visit site
That's really good you managed it with a decent sized electric launch.

I've got an electric canoe with a solar panel for little runs up and down the reaches but an electric boat with accomodation does sound rather good.

I'm intending to convert the toy trawler to electric at some point but being a twin screw 16 tonne steel motor cruiser it's going to need some serious charging availability.

I often think that boats like yours are the best way to do the River. It's just so Pleasant.
I ve had all sorts of boats over the past 40 years and this has to be the most impractical. It looks lovely and is perfect for a summers evening with some friends. It also has a lovely loo but not much else.
My last boat was a 42 ft Trawler and had everything you could ever need. Self sufficient for weeks on end. mostly based on diesel and gas. The bonus on the river is you can stop where you like, all those favourite places you know.
With electric if you need a charge it’s a lock, a marina, a restaurant or a friend, Not necessarily the places I’d chose to stop. My Lechlade trip was the first time I’d ever used a Marina. There are solar options I know but the cost of electric systems is ludicrous the range of solar limited and Golden Butterfly isn’t really designed for solar panels all over the roof.
All boats are a compromise. It just depends what your compromises are.

Other threads that may be of interest