River sewage

Parabordi

Visit site
Always makes me laugh when all these folks pay so much money to enter an organised swim, to swim among the turds...
And now Henley Town Council is planning on making a buoyed off area for swimming by the park.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Always makes me laugh when all these folks pay so much money to enter an organised swim, to swim among the turds...
And now Henley Town Council is planning on making a buoyed off area for swimming by the park.

On the old 1940s maps the Henley corporation bathing area was immediately upstream of the rowing club above Hobbs, where there now is a fairly modern long building.

Another bathing area was the beach upstream of the Bounty in Bourne end.

They were marked on old maps.

Yet another intriguing one was at Abingdon the island below the weir. Behind this island (only accessible by small dinghy/canoe) there are steps and a platform. At one point I think it might even have had a little building on it.

Old Crusty

Visit site
I had the joy of patrolling the Little Marlow monster discharge about 6 or 7 years ago, rag & bog paper everywhere downstream. Some gobby woman on a swanky cruiser yelled at me that I should put a sign up to inform boaters so I shouted back, pointing with my finger, 'Ok, this is really SHIT!' She went nuts. I'm still waiting for the complaint.

penfold

Visit site
I had the joy of patrolling the Little Marlow monster discharge about 6 or 7 years ago, rag & bog paper everywhere downstream. Some gobby woman on a swanky cruiser yelled at me that I should put a sign up to inform boaters so I shouted back, pointing with my finger, 'Ok, this is really SHIT!' She went nuts. I'm still waiting for the complaint.
Notices prohibiting bathing.