River restaurant reviews

No Regrets

Visit site
Boulters is sound enough, you'll enjoy it!

We have had a selection of boats moored on the open side of their moorings, which are free. Be careful to give the bottom end a wide berth, so best stick to the middle of the channel in the weir stream before turning in to moor.

It accommodates Sterndrive boats and Shafts up to a bit over a metre.

Chill

Visit site
Showboat at Harleford is having lots of work done by the new owners, went past last week and they have covered the external seating area with a glass conservatory type thing. Any idea when it will be open again?

Had a nice meal in the Bel & Dragon Cookham recently, excellent steak cooked to perfection (Med Rare) note that there is one in Windsor, how lomg has this been open?

apollo

Visit site
Showboat at Harleford is having lots of work done by the new owners, went past last week and they have covered the external seating area with a glass conservatory type thing. Any idea when it will be open again?

Had a nice meal in the Bel & Dragon Cookham recently, excellent steak cooked to perfection (Med Rare) note that there is one in Windsor, how lomg has this been open?
It's open now but only from 10 to 1700 and cash only.
Sandwiches and soup only.
I miss igor...

alanch

Visit site
Had dinner at the Minnow at Weybridge on thursday. Pretty average fare, good efficient service. Full of young folk at 6 pm and made me feel quite old. But weather great for outside dinning. Pity about the main road next to the garden.

Thamesmariner

Visit site
Shillingford Bridge Hotel

Had dinner in their restaurant last evening, first visit in three years and now under new management. However, the service remains poor and the food not exceptional but ok. The moorings have been upgraded with new electrical hook ups but the mooring fee is £15 plus £5 for electric. One good thing is you get a refund if you do not use £5 of electric.

Thamesmariner

Visit site
Re: Shillingford Bridge Hotel

I did ask about that but they no longer offer any reduction so our whole overnight mooring / dinner experience cost over £80, it may be another three years before we return. Some other observations: The hotel lawn down to the river had not been cut for some time, over my ankles; there are no signs to say a mooring fee applies, two other boats on the same night did not pay; waste disposal bin was overflowing and scattered everywhere, I went round with my litter picker to put it all back ; the Hotel does look smarter inside; £15 fee for the public to picnic or BBQ on the lawn, that explains why it was completely empty.

watson1959

Visit site
Re: Shillingford Bridge Hotel

I did ask about that but they no longer offer any reduction so our whole overnight mooring / dinner experience cost over £80, it may be another three years before we return. Some other observations: The hotel lawn down to the river had not been cut for some time, over my ankles; there are no signs to say a mooring fee applies, two other boats on the same night did not pay; waste disposal bin was overflowing and scattered everywhere, I went round with my litter picker to put it all back ; the Hotel does look smarter inside; £15 fee for the public to picnic or BBQ on the lawn, that explains why it was completely empty.

Sounds like they don't really want a riverside restaurant with clients disturbing them! Thanks for the warning.

Actionmat

Visit site
Not a restaurant, but for those looking for an excellent take away in Pangbourne:
Green's of Pangbourne(proper old fashioned butchers)Whitchurch Rd. The best pies I've ever scoffed.

No Regrets

Visit site
Bray Marina Brasserie (Again!)

Well we finally plucked up the courage and revisited it!

Service excellent, Food very nice and cost fair.

Highly recommended, as long as they don't revert to their old ways...

bacon4

Visit site
Re: Chequers, Marlow

We have stopped their a few times and I think the £10.00 charge is a good idea as it means that we can mostly get on the moorings now, instead of people parking up and either eating on-board or going across the bridge into Staines itself. The pontoon is very basic, but never had a problem there. In the end, the mooring is free if you are eating/ drinking there.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Not a restaurant, but for those looking for an excellent take away in Pangbourne:
Green's of Pangbourne(proper old fashioned butchers)Whitchurch Rd. The best pies I've ever scoffed.

top tip re greens / pangbourne:
buy your pie / pasty / sauage roll in the morning before heading down stream. Go through Mapledurham lock and turn left and moor up in the weirstream. Then walk over the lock gate and get some chips from the cafe to takeaway. Lovely pie and chips in a top setting.

Actionmat

Visit site
Henley - The Catherine Wheel. It's a Wetherspoons and probably their flagship. The food was excellent for pub grub (cod, chips and mushy peas for me and a veggie grill for the first mate)and the beer is well kept too. London Pride at £2.70 a pint and Abbot Ale at £2.60. London Pride in my local(which is down the road from the Fulllers brewery is £4.50).
After an eye watering tenner spent on Henley Town Council mooring fees, it has to be the best value in Henley. The staff were very friendly too and dogs are welcome in the beer garden.:encouragement:

No Regrets

Visit site
Hotel Du Vin: Supplied us with free Ice for a week, while every other place I asked (to buy it!!) refused.

Had a lovely little meal in the courtyard, fair value and tasty food.

Perhaps the waiter liked us... :encouragement:

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Henley - Hotel du Vin, where the brewery used to be. Overpriced and food not that special. wont be going again.

Clearly you did not have the penthouse and the outside bathtub....

I stayed there for a couple of nights a few years back, twas very good and the outside bathtub was also very good (in the December snow) food was okay as far as I can remember (wine was good) the one thing I do remember was how good the breakfast was in the morning.