River restaurant reviews

Cashbuyer

Visit site
Shillingford Bridge - stopped for afternoon tea, some time ago. The place was plagued by flies. Not much fun trying to avoid eating the bluebottles which had landed on the scones. I think we ended paying for only one pot of tea and left pretty sharpish. Waitress blamed the flies on the local farmer... By her comment I am assuming he was alive.

Brayman

Visit site
Shillingford Bridge - stopped for afternoon tea, some time ago. The place was plagued by flies. Not much fun trying to avoid eating the bluebottles which had landed on the scones. I think we ended paying for only one pot of tea and left pretty sharpish. Waitress blamed the flies on the local farmer... By her comment I am assuming he was alive.

Massive flies have always plagued Shillingford, it's the pig farmer across the river that everyone blames.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Just had a rather nice lunch at the Runnymede. Went along by boat and ate in their "Lock" restaurant at the end by....well nearest the lock

Three of us with three rather nice courses and coffee (one pint only) came to just over 100 quid. Not a place to stop everyday but made a very nice treat for the current Mrs S, my daughter and the 8 week old who slept under the table.

Service good but would have been better if the first person we spoke to knew where the lock restaurant was over the one she was serving in!

Chill

Visit site
Following our little up river cruise here are a few comments.
Henley Rewind GBK for the best burger on the site! Nice chips too.
Swan at Streatley so good we visited it twice. Not cheap but excellent food and service. They also own the Great House in Sonning.
Dolphin in Wallingford for the best breakfast ever!
Nags head Abingdon had two great meals in here, spent loads of cash doing it up and I must say both visits were excellent, even if you have to cook your own steak!
Villa Maria Henley 8 of us visited lovely place food was great but tried to overcharge us by £170 so won't be going back.
Shame the Spanish is closed Bogeda think it's called had a great meal last time we were in Henley.

Actionmat

Visit site
Wallingford: two visits to Avanti, both excellent. Even my Dad thought so and he is very hard to please!
Sunday lunch at The Dolphin looked promising, but they'd sold out of roasts by 1:30pm and stop doing food at 2:00pm.
The Indian by the bridge was a friendly place, but sorry to say the blandest curry I've eaten. The sag paneer was vile. I think the duck shashlik was actually lamb, I gave up chewing and bagged the meat up for the dog.

Wallingford has a very nice tea room on the high street. Excellent home made cakes.

prof pat pending

Visit site
We went to Avanti last week and had a great meal at areasonable price

Dave Myers (Hairy Biker) was also there, which seemed like a reasonable recommendation :)
He was also moored up on the town moorings

watson1959

Visit site
Has anyone had breakfast at Windsor Racecourse marina of late?

Planning a trip down there later this month: beers and dinner in Windsor but if the marina brekky is any good we may give that a go.

Cheers

Simon

Actionmat

Visit site
I had the best curry I can remember on Friday night, at Cocum on Bridge Rd, a few minutes from Molesey Lock.
This is southern Indian food at its best and very reasonable. Dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine £51.

Actionmat

Visit site
The Anglers, Teddington. I keep hoping that it will improve but each time I'm bitterly disappointed. The food is okay but the service is so bad that I feel a mug for going back more than once. If you go there for a drink, order two or three pints at a time as I get the impression that the bar staff couldn't be bothered unless you're one of their Facebook friends.

joejo

Visit site
Especially as the tide end cottage is so good...

We had a trip from Penton Hook to Teddington yesterday and ate at Tides End. I agree absolutely with Apollo. Decent meal, fair price and a good evening.

They currently have a temporary manager with a new one starting at the end of January.

Also very pleasant to start the season early.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
We had a trip from Penton Hook to Teddington yesterday and ate at Tides End. I agree absolutely with Apollo. Decent meal, fair price and a good evening.

They currently have a temporary manager with a new one starting at the end of January.

Also very pleasant to start the season early.

The Tide End is ok for a quick meal but 200 meters up the road gives you more choice than you would ever need ! And that's before you cross the bridge to Broad Street !

Just google restaurants in Teddington. Trust me I have done them all many times over !

Gavi

Visit site
After the London Boat Show we had a marvellous lunch at http://www.sunbornhotels.com/ , a yacht moored by Excel and converted into a hotel. The décor is superb, as are the views, food and service. The fixed price menu was £29 for 3 courses with a glass of Champagne. The wine was reasonable at £30 for a decent Chenin Blanc. Total cost for 2 was £110. But then we went to the cocktail bar....

Actionmat

Visit site
Went to The Albany on the river at Thames Ditton on the weekend. I called in advance and they reserved the mooring for us. Even though they were very busy, the food was good and the service was fast and excellent.
A good variety of starter platters to share and very good quality rib eye. The only negative was the chips served in tiny little buckets and not enough of them, but easily remedied by ordering extra.