River restaurant reviews

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
A bit like trip advisor when a new restaurant opens, you will notice lots of people post good reviews all within a few days and that it will always be that person's first ever review.
Another give away on here and trip advisor, is when the reviewer always mentions the owners by name.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
whilst on our recent trip upriver, we ate at the following places.

The Plough Inn, Clifton hampden

http://home2.btconnect.com/theploughinns/

lovelly old thatched pub owned by a chinese couple who serve great chinese food, either at the bar or in the restaurant at the back (or even take aways to take back to the boat). Friendly service and reasonable prices.

Villa Marina - Henley

http://www.villamarina-henley.com/

Have been here several times and can be quite expensive if eating in the evening, but we took advantage of their lunchtime special. Was £19 for a three course meal. The food here is really good and there was plenty to choose from on the lunch time menu. The service is very good as you would expect from a top italian restaurant.

The Two Brewers - Marlow

http://www.twobrewersmarlow.com/

Great old fashion pub in a back street in Marlow,next to the river. There is public moorings by the pub (4 hours), but not sure how deep, so we moored in the park. Very good food, and our number one choice in Marlow. We had the fish and chips at about £13, but they were worth it.

watson1959

Visit site
The Angler: 5 minutes downstream from Walton Marina.

Just had a quick lunch there: great seating on the riverbank (with huge umbrellas which they opened for the brief rainfall); free public mooring right outside and the staff say people often moor up overnight.

Two pints of very well kept Sharp's; large OJ & Lemonade, freshly made fishcakes with chunky chips and a beef & mushroom in beer pie with roasties. £30.

Very welcoming, friendly staff and a huge dog's water bowl outside.

I will happily go back.

Ps.....the bar is very well stocked so I imagine an overnight stay could be very.....um.....enjoyable.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
The Angler: 5 minutes downstream from Walton Marina.

Just had a quick lunch there: great seating on the riverbank (with huge umbrellas which they opened for the brief rainfall); free public mooring right outside and the staff say people often moor up overnight.

Two pints of very well kept Sharp's; large OJ & Lemonade, freshly made fishcakes with chunky chips and a beef & mushroom in beer pie with roasties. £30.

Very welcoming, friendly staff and a huge dog's water bowl outside.

I will happily go back.

Ps.....the bar is very well stocked so I imagine an overnight stay could be very.....um.....enjoyable.

Had a good burger there the other day as well as mooring up outside.

Wavey

Visit site
Glad to hear the Anglers is back on form after it's last makeover (which was a while ago now I know). Great spot but a degree of luck is needed to get the mooring right outside.

I remember the days (long ago now) when it had an excellent seafood restaurant upstairs. Have had some very happy (and well-oiled) times there over the years.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Go Go's - Windsor Racecourse

Last friday we decided to try Go Go's at windsor racecourse as we fancied the idea of taking the boat to a restaurant and back without having to go through a lock. First time I have ever entered windsor racecourse marina by boat, quite a nice backwater with lots of twist and turns, although that did make it a bit tight on the way out when it was getting dark and we had another boat coming the other way!

First impressions of the Restaurant and bar was very good. There is an upstairs outside balcony area, side garden and inside area of the bar, which was quite busy and had a good liveley vibe to it. Looks like there was a mixture of people from the marina having a drink and people there for the evening. Couldn't help thinking how nice it would be if Bray marina had a nice bar like this.

The menu is quite small, which to be honest I prefer. Unfortunatley, the food did let this place down. I had the ribs, and went for the large portion at £15 plus extra for the chips. They were over cooked and also, were very small and chewy. The sauce they came with was very nice, but only gave a tiny little portion. The wife had the chicken espetada, which was okay, but the 'roasted vegetables' that she ordered extra were anything but roasted and swimming in a liquid. She did mention this when the waiter came to collect the dishes, and in fairness, he took it off the bill without us even asking. The service in general was quite good, it was a shame that food wasn't up to scratch, something which the couple on the next table agreed with.

I wouldn't go back there to eat, but I probably would take the odd trip there on a sunny evening to enjoy the bar area, as they have a good selection of drinks and it is a nice setting to arrive by boat, which onlt takes about 20 minutes from Bray marina.

dash300

Visit site
Go Go's - Windsor Racecourse

Last friday we decided to try Go Go's at windsor racecourse as we fancied the idea of taking the boat to a restaurant and back without having to go through a lock. First time I have ever entered windsor racecourse marina by boat, quite a nice backwater with lots of twist and turns, although that did make it a bit tight on the way out when it was getting dark and we had another boat coming the other way!

First impressions of the Restaurant and bar was very good. There is an upstairs outside balcony area, side garden and inside area of the bar, which was quite busy and had a good liveley vibe to it. Looks like there was a mixture of people from the marina having a drink and people there for the evening. Couldn't help thinking how nice it would be if Bray marina had a nice bar like this.

The menu is quite small, which to be honest I prefer. Unfortunatley, the food did let this place down. I had the ribs, and went for the large portion at £15 plus extra for the chips. They were over cooked and also, were very small and chewy. The sauce they came with was very nice, but only gave a tiny little portion. The wife had the chicken espetada, which was okay, but the 'roasted vegetables' that she ordered extra were anything but roasted and swimming in a liquid. She did mention this when the waiter came to collect the dishes, and in fairness, he took it off the bill without us even asking. The service in general was quite good, it was a shame that food wasn't up to scratch, something which the couple on the next table agreed with.

I wouldn't go back there to eat, but I probably would take the odd trip there on a sunny evening to enjoy the bar area, as they have a good selection of drinks and it is a nice setting to arrive by boat, which onlt takes about 20 minutes from Bray marina.

Popped into Go Go's and the coffee was nice and strong and reasonably priced. Interesting use of pallets as furniture as well!!
Many people eating breakfast and they looked ok. Great spot to watch confined mooring expertise as well.:)

joejo

Visit site
We tried the newly opened Cote Bistro next to the Eton bridge 31 08 13. (used to be House on the Bridge) It has been open about 3 weeks and doing good trade. Menu choice was good French theme. And something for most tastes.. Cote Bistro is a chain which I had not visited before. Our meal was excellent. My Medium rare Rib Eye steak was great. Two starters two mains one desert, a bottle of wine and a couple of additional drinks including service came to 71 pounds. We were well pleased and will return. A good addition to Windsor.

Actionmat

Visit site
The Perch and Pike, South Stoke. Nearest moorings are along the field opposite Sheridan Marine which is deep enough for a 1m draught. Walk down stream for 10 mins to the slipway and follow the signs that say 5 mins away (it's really a 10 minute brisk walk from there but worth it).

We went for lunch and the food was excellent, as was the beer (brakespears).

Avanti - Wallingford. A great little Italian, excellent service, good food and child friendly. We would have visited again on the return trip, but the moorings were taken by just a handful of narrowboats, the smallest of which was twice my length and half my beam. A shame because it's a nice place to stop (and has a handy launderette in the high st.)

Boat House Pub - Wallingford. What a shame that the best location has rubbish food and piped dance music (at lunchtime) that you can't get away from. Walk straight past and into the locals pub behind it (the name escapes me). The beer was great and the staff made us feel very welcome and made a fuss of the dog. They do food and a Sunday lunch (haven't tried it as we ate at the boat house), but we'll eat there on our next trip as they were so nice.

Mapledurham Lock Cafe. Fish and chips, fry ups etc., with rubbish disposal, water and a pump out station. A handy stopping point at normal cafe prices.

Last edited:

plumbob

Visit site
The Perch and Pike, South Stoke. Nearest moorings are along the field opposite Sheridan Marine which is deep enough for a 1m draught. Walk down stream for 10 mins to the slipway and follow the signs that say 5 mins away (it's really a 10 minute brisk walk from there but worth it).

We went for lunch and the food was excellent, as was the beer (brakespears).

Avanti - Wallingford. A great little Italian, excellent service, good food and child friendly. We would have visited again on the return trip, but the moorings were taken by just a handful of narrowboats, the smallest of which was twice my length and half my beam. A shame because it's a nice place to stop (and has a handy launderette in the high st.)

Boat House Pub - Wallingford. What a shame that the best location has rubbish food and piped dance music (at lunchtime) that you can't get away from. Walk straight past and into the locals pub behind it (the name escapes me). The beer was great and the staff made us feel very welcome and made a fuss of the dog. They do food and a Sunday lunch (haven't tried it as we ate at the boat house), but we'll eat there on our next trip as they were so nice.

Mapledurham Lock Cafe. Fish and chips, fry ups etc., with rubbish disposal, water and a pump out station. A handy stopping point at normal cafe prices.

Completely agree about Avanti, been there several times with friends who live near Benson. Good food ,good prices but suggest booking advisable.

alanch

Visit site
Tried the Showboat at Harleyford for the first time this year. Very friendly service and good, but different food. Not your usual fare. It reminded me of a Hestons Fat Duck menu, without his prices. If I was more local I would certainly go more often.

Chill

Visit site
Had a great night in Boulters Saturday in the bar, Mark Crofts was performing and had the burger which was very nice indeed.
Went in for breakfast and I must say was very disappointed. Full English Breakfast was eggs bacon sausage half a tomatoe and a toasted muffin. No beans, no fried bread no black pudding no hash browns and no toast! They had run out of mushrooms. £25 for the two of us wont be going back again for breakfast.

Ramage

Visit site
Just back from a rainy week upriver. The Swan at Pangbourne (Whitchurch Lock) was excellent. Very good food, huge portions. We had fried fish (Beer battered Haddock). Service was friendly and attentive. Panna Cotta desert was legendary.

John Barleycorn at Goring was superb. The pub was busy but nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Great food and a top welcome.

The Bounty at Bourne End. Great moorings, great beer, great craic. Really laid back vibe, dogs allowed in the bar. we counted 12 of them. No problems with any of them. Food was good basic stuff at reasonable price but they stop serving food at 8PM.

Shillingford Bridge Hotel.

Good moorings, electricity included. However grass incredibly long, hotel run down and Basil Fawlty-esque. Hard to get served at the bar... odd because it was empty. We started a tab. Decided not to risk food based on the poor state of the place and indifferent staff. (4 out of 9 lights were blown in the bar!). We even had trouble getting the staff to take payment for the drinks.

No Regrets

Visit site
The Brasserie: Bray Marina.

They hosted our Midsummer evening, after assuring me they could cope with 20-30 diners.

Sadly, they failed. The booking was clearly for 7pm, yet the night before they told me it was 12:45 (!!! How???)

On the night;

1/ Service was slow, pitifully slow.

2/ Drinks were not forthcoming.

3/ Starters were not as described.

4/ Plates were left on the table for ages, nearly an hour.

5/ Main courses were not as described and were slow. Some were dreadful.

6/ Desserts were not as ordered, dreadful and took ages. I left before mine arrived.

7/ Coffees were still not served 3 1/2 hours later.

8/ The portly waiter was dressing tables for nobody in particular while we were waiting for our tables to be cleared.

9/ The bald Italian waiter was rude and useless.

10/ The owner has still not returned my call as promised last week. It's nearly a week now.

I will never go back to the Brasserie under it's current management. They are rude, ignorant, arrogant, useless and irritating.

apollo

Visit site
So you like it then...?
article-2558389-1AB6C91E00000578-509_964x645.jpg

No Regrets

Visit site
Yes. It's fine otherwise.

Actually, it's a lovely little place, great scenery, comfortable and convenient. Just a shame it's owned by amateurs and staffed by morons.

I would love to take this further, much further, but the leading light of Bray Cruiser Club wants a more tacit approach.

Fuming, is the best word....