River restaurant reviews

ThamesBoater

Visit site
We have been to "The One Fusion Resturant and Bar" (2 Botley Road, Oxford, OX2 0AB) a few times and it is excellent.

Very nice chinese food and a massive choice cocktails (I think there were over 200 on the menu). Whatever you do, dont have the Klingon Blood Wine, when it says tabasco it meant it.

There are public moorings just above Osney Lock, but before Osney Bridge. its across the bridge and a couple of hundred yards down the road.

well worth a try.

Wavey

Visit site
Need some help here please.....

Sunday is my birthday and SWMBO and I want to go out for a nice traditional Sunday lunch. Tried three recently (Thyme at the Tavern, Chertsey - Harrisons, Shepperton - the other so awful I've wiped it from memory :)) and all were pretty dire.

Any recommendations for somewhere not a million miles from Chertsey?

ThamesBoater

Visit site
Need some help here please.....

Sunday is my birthday and SWMBO and I want to go out for a nice traditional Sunday lunch. Tried three recently (Thyme at the Tavern, Chertsey - Harrisons, Shepperton - the other so awful I've wiped it from memory :)) and all were pretty dire.

Any recommendations for somewhere not a million miles from Chertsey?

I had a couple of meals in the Kingfisher which is near the bridge and lock.

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thekingfisherchertsey/

Didn't have Sunday lunch but what I had was good on both occasions.

Mark

Wavey

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

The Minnow we like and have been there often although never for a Sunday roast. Just wish they knew how to look after ales though :(

Kingfisher we know but it does tend to get a bit overrun with kids on Sundays.

The Three Horseshoes confuses me though. Their web site and menus look great but I understand it's now been bought by Fullers and has undergone changes. Fullers have their own half-constructed website for it :confused:. Best bet is probably to pop round there.

Akers_like

Visit site
The Three Horseshoes confuses me though. Their web site and menus look great but I understand it's now been bought by Fullers and has undergone changes. Fullers have their own half-constructed website for it :confused:. Best bet is probably to pop round there.[/QUOTE]

Bit of a surprise but purchased by Fullers in February this year.

Non the less we have eaten there several times this year and it remains one of our favourite pubs in the area. However it is vital to book at least a day in advance.

Wavey

Visit site
Had a superb Sunday lunch at the Three Horseshoes yesterday. What a breath of fresh air to find somewhere local serving good food with good service after several disappointments elsewhere. And they've got HSB on draft too :D

You can tell we really enjoyed it. We've booked again for next Sunday :)

rosssavage

Visit site
The Swan in Staines (Upon-Thames).

Disappointing really.
Pre booked dinner and berth over the phone, no probs. No fee for berthing overnight. Asked about draft - staff member didn't know, but rather oddly spotted Willy Walsh on his boat there the day before, so popped over and asked him. I didn't mention he employed me though!

So, the experience...

Food was average, and the service shambolic. After ordering we asked for some bread (we weren't offered any) and they eventually delivered some. Without butter (or oil and vinegar etc..). Had to ask again for that.

When my steak finally arrived on a very snazzy looking slate(?) slab (all very trendy) it was very overdone. I like my cow just about dead, and that was how I ordered it. It arrived just shy of well done - not good.

SWMBO's food was adequate, but not great. Also very trendily presented.

At this point some friends we'd arranged to meet for drinkies afterwards arrived, and they were allowed to come and sit with us as we finished the meal.

We then asked for the bill. And waited. And waited. I asked for the bill a second time. And waited. And waited. It was kind of obvious that we had finsihed and wanted to move on (we now had two couples with us who we had invited out for evening drinks).

Finally, I walked over to the till and asked to settle up there and then - this was obviously not standard procedure as it somwhat threw the waitress, who then had to get help to operate the till (I assume she only knew how to use the handheld card reader thingy, not the main till).

Eventually we moved out to my boat to continue the evening there, as had been the plan. I should point out at this point that we continued to buy our drinks from the Swan all evening.

Next morning we popped into town for breakfast, as I really couldn't be bothered with all the faff of the night before.

Cue 12 hours later, and we again spent the evening buying our drinks from the Swan (although we didn't eat there) and spent a second night on the pontoon.

The next morning, as we were preparing to depart (actually busy untieing our lines), a very irate lady manager took it upon herself to bellow from the tow path that we weren't allowed to stay for two nights. I was too shocked to reply anything - and I was busy anyway, but I should point out that we were the only occupants of the moorings for the entire duration of our stay. We had not inconvenienced anyone, and we had spent money in the Swan both nights we stayed on the pontoon. What a very odd way to treat your customers!!

We won't be going back.

Last edited:

534l4rk

Visit site
[QUOTE

Food was average, and the service shambolic.

We won't be going back.[/QUOTE]

Can't say I am surprised - had thought of trying again after previous hassle but don't think we will bother.

Akers_like

Visit site
The problem with The Swan at Staines is it is so unpredictable, one day food and service fab. Next day carp.

We now tend to use it as a watering hole, sort of first and last from our home mooring.

The Three Horeshoes as said before is in a completely different leauge, but, you need to book 24 hours in advance.

original_name_2

Visit site
let me add my share, experiences from the past fortnight.

Windsor -
Yangtzee- all you can eat for 13 Pounds (7 kids) WOW. very very good. huge selection for all you can eat - not a buffet, you wait for everything you order. well worth it. on par with my favorite Chinese near Leicester square
Doner place next to that - Lamb shawarma - very good.
Papa Gee's - doner kebab - don't . 2/3 kids got ill.

Goring
Masooms , very good indian. but we waitied ~40 minutes.

Cookham
Malik's, amazing Indian, but not cheap at all. (~30% more expensive than your regular indian places.) the roast duck appetizers (Hash something) were the best I've had. very nice atmosphere.

Maidenhead
Jasmine Peking, we got them to deliver to the mooring, on on the east bank, just south of the railway bridge, they wanted a postcode , took me a while to figure it out SL6 0BG for your reference -- good chinese, my wife thought it was a bit spicy. (spicier than usual.)

Bourne end didn't try, but was recommended the pizza place just east of the station (cross the bridge from the moorings.) smells GREAT.

______

any recomendation for a good place (with kids) in Pangbourne / Whitchurch, or the area?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Cookham
Malik's, amazing Indian, but not cheap at all. (~30% more expensive than your regular indian places.) the roast duck appetizers (Hash something) were the best I've had. very nice atmosphere.

Agree Maliks is on the expensive side but food really superb - and its just as good on Sunday Lunchtime when its an all you can eat buffet for a tenner !

Rascal Joe

www.jeffmaynard.com
Pub/Restaurant/Hotel App

The River Thames Guide (free download from Apple App Store) has details of pubs/restaurants/hotels with their own moorings (but no reviews).
It also provides an interactive map, journey planner and more.

Wavey

Visit site
Went to Windsor Marina for Tuesday night and on recommendation from a friend tried the Sun and Stars at Holyport, a short cab ride from the marina.

Very friendly and entertaining landlord, food excellent (must have been as SWMBO devoured hers and she had a tooth out earlier that day!).

Two starters, two mains, a pint, two medium Shiraz, two large Merlot and very nice coffee on tap. £71.45 all in.

Definitely be back :)

And so we were on Tuesday evening. Nice to know you can go back nearly a year later and it's as good as before.

Sloe Gin

Visit site
We took the boat to the new restaurant (Gogos) at Racecourse Marina. Food was amazing. We have been to Greg and Gail's coffee shop before and wanted to see their latest venture. We weren't disappointed. The only grumbling we heard was from punters who hadn't booked and couldn't get a table.

watson1959

Visit site
We took the boat to the new restaurant (Gogos) at Racecourse Marina. Food was amazing. We have been to Greg and Gail's coffee shop before and wanted to see their latest venture. We weren't disappointed. The only grumbling we heard was from punters who hadn't booked and couldn't get a table.

Strange 'first post' in a boating forum......are you related? :rolleyes: