River restaurant reviews

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
As for No Regrets' excuse of leaving his suit behind in the car, when getting ready to leave the marina on Saturday morning for the trip to Boulters, I realised I'd left my trousers at home, did you see me wandering around in my boxers al evening? No, I managed to come up with alternative arrangements that didn't require me to wear a fur coat all evening.

And very fetching it looked, too .....:D

Last edited:

Brayman

Visit site
Hare & Hounds

Driving through Marlow on Sunday morning I noticed that, as reported earlier, the Cheerful Sole is no more but that the building has been repainted with a new Hare and Hounds motif. It didn't look to be open yet but let's hope it returns to an unpretentious watering hole for those in need of a good pint and a good meal.

No Regrets

Visit site
Late Summer:

No Dogs allowed (And it's a bloody footpath!!!)

Long wait for food, service dropped off a little, but food always pretty good.

Won't go back due to the change of Dogs rule, sod 'em, but always had a good nosh up.

No Regrets

Visit site
The mooring was always fine, big enough for a pair of considerately moored 27 footers, and plenty of hardware to tie up with.

We draw 3 foot, never saw any mud storms either, but watch the lock end by the slipway, if backing out straight. It gets shallower!

There is a large rock at the other end if memory serves me...

Chill

Visit site
Thames Hotel Maidenhead

You can eat in the bar or in their Italian restaurant called "Trevi" have eaten in both and the food is first class. Only problem is the last time we moored overnight outside we had the outboard stolen from the tender and an egg thrown at the boat.

Chill

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Two things

This is now sticky

Also the Italian in Teddington High St (the old skool one) has now closed down.

I am only saying this as as had a few mentions on here in the past, personally I could not stand it and the fact it has closed shows that it has not kept up to date with current trends.

Have a good weekend!

Brayman

Visit site
Driving over Abingdon Bridge this afternoon I noticed The Nag's Head on the Thames is closed and borded up!

A prime sight for a really good riverside pub/restaurant but unfortunately very neglected property.

rosta

Visit site
The Wharf - Teddington

Down my end of the river .....

I can recommend The Wharf at Teddington, opposite the lock. Good food and a nice atmosphere. Its let down slightly by the waiting staff who need a little more training. The Wharf has an offer on at the moment, two meals for the price of one. The offer ends soon, though it has already been extended twice.

If you feel like walking in to Teddington High Street then Whites Brasserie (aka The Kings Head) has a good menu.

Further up river, if there's space on their tiny landing stage, The Boaters (Canbury Gardens, Kingston) does good pub food and serves excellent beer. There's also Jazz on Sunday evenings, though you'd need to get in early to get a seat.

jecuk

Visit site
French Horn

Stopped in at Sonning over the weekend and had dinner with the family at the French Horn. While not a cheap meal we had the usual lovely service there and the food was excellent.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Stopped in at Sonning over the weekend and had dinner with the family at the French Horn. While not a cheap meal we had the usual lovely service there and the food was excellent.

I assume you took some sandwiches with you to make up for the minuscule portions they provide.

Gumpy

Visit site
The Crown, Cookham Moor

Well we looked at all the options and finaly decided on the Crown at the other end of the High St
I have to say that as all in the party are cheapskates we all went for the £9.95 2 course option
Wasnt expecting much but we were all pleasntly surprised Food and service was excelent and the beer very drinkable, I just couldnt have enough beer as I was driving.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
OTT (on The Thames)

First review....

And these will be based on the fact that both I and the current Mrs S eat out an awful lot both on business and for fun, in fact too much!

Moored at Bourne End Marina and chose this over the Bounty as I could not remember how far it was from the marina and what time we would arrive...anyhow without going into a Master Chef de brief...

Setting - Very nice, was warm enough to eat outside however it was only 1900 hours and we were placed very close to the couple next to us, too close.

Service - Far too fast, it was not busy and we wanted to take our time without going into the ins and outs we had three courses and were out in 45 mins...

Food - Starter Bland (mozzarella job..)

Main - Two steaks one with fresh veg (the veg was good) but the meat was a bad cut and not cooked how we wanted. Second steak, again not cooked how I asked and served on a very bland bed of sweet potato.

Dessert - Eaton Mess served in a soup bowl....enough said.

Whilst not hugely expensive (85 quid with wine) I felt robbed and wished we had eaten at the Bounty for half that and had a better meal.

It looked good, sounded good and on paper should have been good but I am afraid it did not deliver and we both left feeling very unimpressed.