River Clyde / Glasgow City

penfold

Visit site
The VoL would have been a secondary if not a primary target; Westclox, Polaroid, Burroughs, Denny, Babcock, whatever enterprise took over Blackburn, paint and dye/chemical works of various kinds, big POL depot, torpedo factory, etc.

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
My late cousin Bill Short was on the SS Induna as an engineer on the run to Murmansk when it was torpedoed and sunk, he spent a while in an open boat slowly freezing when they got rescued, he was treated in the local school house at first and they used tepid tea to rinse out his insides to thaw out his guts, the doctors never expected him to survive abut he did, he lost one leg below the knee and the other above the knee due to gangrene after the frostbite.

After the war he went to work in the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria which I always thought was a bit ironic.
My grandfather was a foreman joiner in the Argyll Motor Works before WW1 later that factory became the Torpedo factory.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
My grandfather was a foreman joiner in the Argyll Motor Works before WW1 later that factory became the Torpedo factory.
Oddly enough I drove past the competitor Arrol-Johnston factory in Dumfries just half an hour ago. It converted to building Sopwith Camels during the war. It is, sadly, now almost completely derelict and looks unsaveable, which is a shame because it's of considerable architectural interest, being the first modern reinforced concrete factory (the Kahn system) in the UK. But who wants a large, hundred-year-old factory in the middle of nowhere. Boating relevance? It's very near Auchencrieff Loch which is in the news today as a possible new watersports centre.

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
Lion Chambers in Glasgow is of a similar construction, it will probably be demolished as it's in such a bad way; it merits saving though, just needs someone with deep pockets and a love of manky auld buildings.

dimdav

Visit site
My late cousin Bill Short was on the SS Induna as an engineer on the run to Murmansk when it was torpedoed and sunk, he spent a while in an open boat slowly freezing when they got rescued, he was treated in the local school house at first and they used tepid tea to rinse out his insides to thaw out his guts, the doctors never expected him to survive abut he did, he lost one leg below the knee and the other above the knee due to gangrene after the frostbite.

After the war he went to work in the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria which I always thought was a bit ironic.

I've a great great uncle who served at Gallipoli on the Irresistible and was sunk but survived. Then next year served at Jutland, was sunk again and rescued again.

After the war he became a lifeguard and swimming instructor at Renfrew baths :LOL: