Rising Farrster - Australian Accident

G

According to some reports in the UK press the skipper is quoted as saying that the "seas were moderate", they didn't hit anything and the keel "just fell off".

Can any of the Australian readers give any more information than that in Press Reports there. Was it a Farr boat? What size? How old? The builder? Any other information Owners of similar boats might do well to have there keel bolts/fixings checked before the season here gets fully under way without waiting for the Official Report which might take months.

G

Bob... I am just back from a 5 week circumnavigation of Tasmania and have not heard of the incident to which you refer....I will try and find out. Brian

G

The yacht capsized somewhere up your East Coast several days ago on a Training trip. 4 survivors got ashore and two are missing.

Bob

G

Verbatim report

Inspector Mal Turner, of

Ballina police, said: "The

38ft yacht was travelling

south and we believe it hit

a reef.

"Four of the six crew

managed to get into a life

raft. Some time the next

morning, the life raft

deflated and they ended up

in the water."

He added that the area they were found in was prohibited and used as a bombing range.

G

Saw the footage on the news last night... the yacht was upside down and being towed, no keel !!!! When the Air Frce start bombing that area we are always told about it and keep well clear. I am having trouble finding out any more, however it seems one lady has sadly lost her life. Brian J

G

The report I saw in the UK press said that the yacht was a Farr 38. The photo of a "similar" yacht showed a wheel-steered cruiser/cruiser-racer. However, given the average picture editor's grasp of sailing the "similar" yacht may be another Farr 38; another 38-footer; or simply any other yacht.

G

I emailed my pal in Sydney. Apparently the skipper is saying they must have hit a whale! Also 'moderate' seas of three meters and the reef has 3m over it at low water.

There was a storm warning out on this stretch of the coast and this boat and another departed despite the weather.

Will be interesting now having regard to the manslaughter charge that was brought against the yachtsman in the UK arising from loss of life amongst his paying guests.