RIP Byrons tree :(

prof pat pending

Visit site
I was quite sad to see the new owner of Ashmount setting a fire around the base of the large tree next to the flagpole. We’ve sheltered from wind, rain and sun under that tree on many an occasion whilst sharing a beer and one on Byrons stories

Sad day :(

Old Crusty

Visit site
I was quite sad to see the new owner of Ashmount setting a fire around the base of the large tree next to the flagpole. We’ve sheltered from wind, rain and sun under that tree on many an occasion whilst sharing a beer and one on Byrons stories

Sad day :(

I nearly choked on my vino when I read that and my specs went all misty. Can I say 'Oh bugger' without getting a sanction?

prof pat pending

Visit site
Nope, today the base of the tree was in flames and a boat was on the river directing boats towards the Beatle and wedge bsnk. They clearly couldn’t be sure which way it would fall

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
Indeed, there may be a TPO (Tree Preservation Order). The local council will know.

Round here , if the diameter of the trunk at 2ft above ground is more than 6 inches, you need to inform the National Park.

A diseased tree (Ash Dieback, Oak Wilt, or any of the others) may mean it is required to be felled and burnt to prevent spread of disease.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The one standing looks like an Ash.
The place is called Ashmount. Maybe named after a tree?
The other one behind looks a bit like a poplar as it appears to be long and thin.

ETA it could be another ash looking at the estate agent photo...

Screenshot_2020-09-22-20-35-58-343_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
It does look a bit wrong so understandable if they wanted it down. Nice bit of firewood too !

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I remember commenting about that little bit of land just upstream of there when it was for sale and Byron said very definitely that the local authority would not allow any development of moorings.

The other interesting bit which came up for sale was just above Shillingford bridge where that old lighter is on the bank. That bit was bought by an angling club.

Could have put some nice little moorings in there but probably no planning forthcoming.

ianc1200

Visit site
Byron also said there was a covenant on that land upstream of the slipway to allow moorings. Be interested to know if there was any way to check on this, bearing in mind the no moorings signs there now.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I suppose it might be searchable on land registry if you provide them with a grid reference.

When I said moorings I meant the development of permanent moorings rather than allowing casual short term moorings..

It's nice around there and a shame that those signs were put in.