Rigger for boat in Cardiff Bay

Dutch01527

Visit site
I am thinking of new standing rigging because I do not know how old the existing rigging is. I had previously had work done by Freemantle Rigging and was very pleased with the service. They have now been bought by Cardiff Marine and I have promised myself to never use Cardiff Marine again after a number of bad experiences in the past ( not with the rigging service).

Any suggestions for a good rigger who is reasonably local?

Last edited:

donm

Visit site
As you say, Andy Freemantle has now gone into Cardiff Marine, but it's still Andy and he's still just as good, and pretty much left to himself.

When on his own 3 years ago he replaced my standing rigging. In the past three months (and as part of Cardiff Marine) he replaced my roller reefing gear with the same smiling face and quality attention, so no difference there and the cost was reasonable.

I don't think you'll get anyone better locally............................................or nationally!

Last edited:

rgsmg53

Visit site
I used Andy Freemantle three or four years ago now and had very good service. At the time I seem to remember him mentioning that his Dad (Rob?) had a marine company in Cardiff. When I heard he was no longer working on his own, I assumed he had gone back into the family business. Is it his Dad's business that has been bought up perhaps?

I too have heard bad things about Cardiff Marine (not used them myself for that very reason) but, if you could ensure it was Andy and his assistant who did the work, it might be worth giving Andy another chance.

Dutch01527

Visit site
Andy has always been great and I would not have talked to anyone else if he was still independent. I think that his Dad’s company was bought up and he went independent and has now been acquire back into the group - not 100% sure however.

Last edited:

Morpheous

Visit site
Andy has just taken my mast down, so far so good. happy to report in when it goes back up. So far Cardiff Marine have been ok for us, the only issue I have is out of hours access to the boatyard. Its a pain in the butt.