'Rias and Rioja Raid'

zoidberg

Visit site
There is a new challenge for those lukewarm about heading west 'across the pond' in 2018, or unlikely to join the GGR, and seek an alternative.

'The Rias and Rioja Raid'...... Plymouth to A Coruna..... Start 29 July 2018 @ 1200UTC..... Breakwater West

The event - The MOCKER CHALLENGE - will be run following the Jester ethos - no rules, but even simpler. Just sail there, start to finish. All true Jesters welcome.

You may enter with any size boat that floats. If you want to take crew, you may. Or not. There will be several classes - Big Boats and Little Boats.
Meals, moorings, beer, etc will be available at the Tamar River Sailing Club. Dining and wining excursions are planned, both ends. Lavish prizes. Expect a press release in the new year.

2 have committed already, on the spot. 8 others have indicated interest, subject to 'management approval'.

I, Claude Van Martyn, will be at the start line at the allotted time. This is not to be a stick your head out and if nasty turn back, nor run an engine, nor start a week later. Nor do I seek to hear from anyone who won't get to the start line. This is 'On the line and Go!'

Entry fee is one Guernsey pound.

If you have the drive and style to do this then you're invited to contact me - [B]mocker2018@gmail.com[/B].

Edit: New Year's Eve, and 6 have committed..... Who's next?

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
You little sod.
I can resist anything except temptation .
So you put it in front of me

Have been told that if First Officer doesn't go then neither can I.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
The 'Rias and Rioja Raid' ( or MOCKER, to those with a preference for the unromantic ) is most certainly NOT intended as a single-handed purgatory.... unless one ( ! ) so chooses.

The list of 'Committeds' is now up to 6. At this rate of recruitment, we could well see about 30 attending the Preparatory Party in the TRSC the evening before the Start. Or even the Practice Prep Party the evening before that..... :D

And 'Tomahawk', as the Committee cum Party Boat par excellence, certainly needs her full complement of seasoned long-distance revelers.....

This could be a lot of fun!

zoidberg

Visit site
À Coruna is easy to find.....you just keep Europe on the left, and follow the party music.

Even Sarabande has bought a map thingy and has written off to the Spanish Tourist Office about the Wine Routes and tapas bars. Arriba, arriba!

Who's next to throw their sombrero in the ring...?

zoidberg

Visit site
Sounds like there's 9 or 10 now said 'Yes, please.'

No large cash deposit. No irksome French-Parisien FFS/FFV rules ( translate that acronym any way you wish ). No scrutineering before, during, after. Take who you want, bring back who you want - within reason. Bring a party hat....

Sunday 29 July.

Pords

Visit site
This is so tempting after having missed out on last years Baltimore Challenge due to major engine failure on the day of launch (fixed after complete rebuild). Only problem will be convincing work as its 2 weeks after i get back from Turkey. Estimate at least 3 weeks + coming from Medway. Will see how my negotiating skills go with the boss.

zoidberg

Visit site
This is so tempting after having missed out on last years Baltimore Challenge due to major engine failure on the day of launch (fixed after complete rebuild). Only problem will be convincing work as its 2 weeks after i get back from Turkey. Estimate at least 3 weeks + coming from Medway. Will see how my negotiating skills go with the boss.

Come on down to Cornwall... er, West Devon, akshully! Do it in lumps. And do the next bit in lumps, too.

Others will - 'in same boat' - and that's part of the overall plan. You could even use your rebuilt enjin.....

Last edited:

Pigpen

Visit site
There is a new challenge for those lukewarm about heading west 'across the pond' in 2018, or unlikely to join the GGR, and seek an alternative.

'The Rias and Rioja Raid'...... Plymouth to A Coruna..... Start 29 July 2018 @ 1200UTC..... Breakwater West

The event - The MOCKER CHALLENGE - will be run following the Jester ethos - no rules, but even simpler. Just sail there, start to finish. All true Jesters welcome.

You may enter with any size boat that floats. If you want to take crew, you may. Or not. There will be several classes - Big Boats and Little Boats.
Meals, moorings, beer, etc will be available at the Tamar River Sailing Club. Dining and wining excursions are planned, both ends. Lavish prizes. Expect a press release in the new year.

2 have committed already, on the spot. 8 others have indicated interest, subject to 'management approval'.

I, Claude Van Martyn, will be at the start line at the allotted time. This is not to be a stick your head out and if nasty turn back, nor run an engine, nor start a week later. Nor do I seek to hear from anyone who won't get to the start line. This is 'On the line and Go!'

Entry fee is one Guernsey pound.

If you have the drive and style to do this then you're invited to contact me - [B]mocker2018@gmail.com[/B].

Edit: New Year's Eve, and 6 have committed..... Who's next?

Ere Zoidberg! - I've only just come out of hibernation - While I'm looking in my small
change for a Guernsey Pound - count me in BUT:
If I'm late getting back from Newport (or whatever watering hole I fall into en-route)
I may have to go direct from Bermuda/Horta/Terceira.

The only foreseeable problem is the Spaniards getting uppity over Gib.

PS What have you got on the end of that fancy new anchor? (PBO Reader)
PPS Passport? Before "Motorman" We used to cross the border near 'Derry on a
Naval ID Card.

pigpen ap Jeekeda 2

zoidberg

Visit site
Hello, Doug.

It'll be pleasing to see you at TRSC, when you get down there. Do remember I'm in Bath, not so very far from the sunny shores of Newport!! In trying to 'interpret your intentions' as above, it may be that you'll not be the only one to keep La Coruna as 'Plan B'.

I can't see the Spanglish getting stroppy up at the north end of Iberia. They're Celts/Basques/different from the other dagoes.

If I understand your q. about 'fancy new anchor', the answer is - probably - a Cutlass 27.... provided I can get her onto the water before the summer's gone. As for 'Motorman', my time in NornIron was spent flitting about the countryside, at night and in bad weather, in a Puma doing RealTime InfraRed stuff trying to catch illegal VCPs. And keeping an overview on Slab Murphy's farmyard smuggling 'ventures. Even then, the powers that be were reluctant to tangle with him.

As I recall, I/we didn't have any requirement for passports on the 'odd occasion' we visited the Republic. The Micks had no means of spotting or stopping us, although they tried a few 'come-ons'. Spain's different, of course. They have Harriers.

I'll mention to Claude that you may join us on our 'Raid'. And/or in the club bar....

Wil

01225 723625

zoidberg

Visit site
It looks now there are about 16 'intended participants' ( not a race, so not 'competitors' ) indicating they're ON.
I believe we will have room for just 2 or 3 more..... ;)