Return to the boat

emandvee44

Visit site
11 months since we left her in a yard and apart from one kindly soul who did a walk around some months ago and noted one significant problem (I won't say what it is as that might identify the boat to 'others'), we have some concern as to what else we may find, (or not find?) when we return very soon.
I managed to destroy the batteries by leaving everything switched on when we left in a hurry last March. ?
Anyway, new house batteries ordered for delivery soon and the price was good too, which eased the pain a bit (but not much). Decided to also change the engine start battery, which was fitted in 2008, so it has done amazing service, (or did I have the parallel switch on all these years? ) we did put away the genoa, and the main is in a lazy bag so we should be ok in that area.

I will report later on what we find!

Anyone have an interesting 'return to boat story?

M.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Nope but the marine engineers did, a couple of years ago, leave the house battery on until it killed itself and had to be replaced. It was a 2yr old Rolls so I share your pain.

last year we replaced the engine start which was fitted in 2007 by a previous owner so I reckon much the same lifetime.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Lots of dead crabs which must have crawled up the lifting keelbox but couldn't return .

Poor things must have died of starvation . They died in clumps . Perhaps crabs have an agreement of eating each other in the event of a stranding. So a possible crime scene .

Cleaning up required a couple of face masks doubled up.

The batteries were fine, with the solar panel charging away merrily to the controller's settings.

Stemar

Visit site
A dead alternator and no cooling water. The alternator was replaced by a pattern one for £130 instead of the £280 job from Keypart or the £430 Volvo ripoff. I could have got one for £90, but that just felt too cheap. The water required a cleanup of the seacock and its strainer.

I also need to replace the zips that connect the cockpit tent to the sprayhood (UV danage), but I already knew that.

johnalison

Visit site
My only concern during the first lockdown was the state of the prop anodes on my saildrive. Lift-out was delayed by 5-6 months and I had visions of a prop that had turned to dust. In the event there was still some anode left and the prop showed no sign of staining.

Blueboatman

Visit site
An ahem quite impressive display of bird poo on top of the radar dome half way up the mast .. I reckon they pooped themselves out of a nice gaff/eyrie!

The bleaching to the paint on my diy deck hatch covers showed just how effective they might have been at saving the acrylic from dealing with all that pesky lockdown UV . Nice to report some good news on here sometimes eh!)?

However, the coffee had definitely lost some of its joie de vivre..

Irish Rover

Visit site
11 months since we left her in a yard and apart from one kindly soul who did a walk around some months ago and noted one significant problem (I won't say what it is as that might identify the boat to 'others')

M.
I'm curious why you'd be concerned about your boat being identified? Many of our boats are easily identifiable from our forum names and/or avatars.

emandvee44

Visit site
I'm curious why you'd be concerned about your boat being identified? Many of our boats are easily identifiable from our forum names and/or avatars.
I don' t have casual attitude towards security generally, so I would rather not advertise that the boat is currently unattended. Anyone can read this forum?M

Irish Rover

Visit site
I don' t have casual attitude towards security generally, so I would rather not advertise that the boat is currently unattended. Anyone can read this forum?M
I don't have a casual attitude to security but, on the other hand, I don't go overboard about it either. From the forum all I can learn about you is your from Plymouth and your boat is somewhere in Spain. I don't know your boat type or boat name so I don't see how giving details of some onboard problem could compromise security. I'm not criticising your approach - I am, as I said, curious and wondering if I'm missing something.

Concerto

Visit site
I don't have a casual attitude to security but, on the other hand, I don't go overboard about it either. From the forum all I can learn about you is your from Plymouth and your boat is somewhere in Spain. I don't know your boat type or boat name so I don't see how giving details of some onboard problem could compromise security. I'm not criticising your approach - I am, as I said, curious and wondering if I'm missing something.
He has a Bavaria 44, it's mentioned in his signature line. It may even be called emandvee as his forum name is that with 44.

In the UK only 15% of boats regularly leave a marina, and I but the same is true abroad. So his boat is likely to be like hundreds of others in his marina and have limited number of owner visits. I doubt his boat would be more likely to be at risk than the rest of the boats in his marina.

Irish Rover

Visit site
He has a Bavaria 44, it's mentioned in his signature line. It may even be called emandvee as his forum name is that with 44.

In the UK only 15% of boats regularly leave a marina, and I but the same is true abroad. So his boat is likely to be like hundreds of others in his marina and have limited number of owner visits. I doubt his boat would be more likely to be at risk than the rest of the boats in his marina.
OK. I take it all back. I'm totally shocked how much information is available about the OP on this forum including his name, call sign and mmsi. From the mmsi I can locate his boat on Marine Traffic and get the name, a photo and the location of the last AIS transmission one year ago which presumably is it's current location. For someone who's security conscious it seems more than excessive.

emandvee44

Visit site
OK. I take it all back. I'm totally shocked how much information is available about the OP on this forum including his name, call sign and mmsi. From the mmsi I can locate his boat on Marine Traffic and get the name, a photo and the location of the last AIS transmission one year ago which presumably is it's current location. For someone who's security conscious it seems more than excessive.
Oops! I've been outed - sort of?M.