Restoring wooden canoe advice

Steve Gowler

Visit site
Any advice welcome.

I've purchased a ply canoe I believe to be about 1950's that has many coats of paint & varnish. I'm stripping back to timber and going to re-cover outer joints with new fibreglass fabric. Any advice on what fibreglass/epoxy, how many layers of fabric and which varnish would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hacker

Visit site
That really depends on how good the structure is. If you are just taping the joints then I’d use 5cm tape (not sheets). If you can get to all the joints then I’d probably do one layer inside and out. Other option would to to sheath the whole of the outside hull using a sheet of biaxial (but I’d probably tape the joints first)

JFowler

Visit site
It’s likely to have been made in 1960’s. Originally the joints would have been sealed on the outside with 1 layer of 50mm fibreglass tape impregnated with polyester resin. I doubt you need anything more.

lw395

Visit site
It’s likely to have been made in 1960’s. Originally the joints would have been sealed on the outside with 1 layer of 50mm fibreglass tape impregnated with polyester resin. I doubt you need anything more.
Or it could have been traditional ply construction any time post war, and bodged by taping over with grp later.
A lot of wooden boats were ruined by GRP sheathing.
You could coat or sheath the whole thing inside and out, but it's a mistake to add too much weight .

For coating and gluing ply or wood, epoxy is far superior to polyester.