Restoring a Classic 6-Meter

Haguesail

Visit site
After periodically searching online over the years for my grandfather’s favorite old sailboat, the Oslo, last Christmas I received a brief but moving e-mail from a stranger in Port Huron, MI: “Merry Christmas, Oslo is safe”. I’ve much enjoyed sailing and campaigning IOR and modern boats over the last few years, but romantic notions and sense of family prevailed over good reason and fiscal responsibility, and I purchased a very old, tired and incomplete wooden boat.

She is since under restoration with the bright young boatwright J. W. Swan in Ashland, WI, and to commemorate a full year of impaired reason and fiscal irresponsibility we have created a website to chronicle the return of the Oslo. Built in 1925, it turns out she was the first 6-Metre owned by Norway’s then Crown Prince Olav, won races first in Norway and then in the US in one of the first international team sailing events, and somehow came into my Grandfather’s hands in 1935 in the Upper Penninsula's sailing capital, Escanaba. She was fast and exotic, and champion of Little Bay du Noc until he parted with her for a better family boat in 1948.

Feel free to follow the progress on the site, www.oslo6mr.com (also try www.oslo6mr.webs.com as the new domain is not yet fully linked)

Chris