Respect for Scottish sailors

NormanB

Visit site
Im kind of wondering what kind of Scots friends you have....

Probably doesn't apply to you but from what I've seen most folk from darn sarf who have a hard time up here are the type who bring it on themselves...

Yeah quite - I told my wife to stop going to the shops but she ignored me.

NormanB

Visit site
Just wondering what part of West Dunbartonshire you stayed in....

As a sometime resident I don't recognise your problem.

Donald

It's all too late now of course, but it was Helensburgh 1977 to 1982 (when it was part of Dunbartonshire), now Argyl and Bute.

I do not have a problem by the way.

Aja

Visit site
Not wanting to upset the natives ;) but they can be a funny lot in Helensburgh, bearing in mind what and whom is just up the road.

There are pubs that a Jock wouldn't be seen dead in...

Donald

NormanB

Visit site
True, true, very true - I very soon learned it would be imprudent to frequent the pubs of Helensburgh, no great loss as I am not a great one for pubs as a regular activity.

I have lived and worked in a dozen countries and never experienced anything like it, and the contrast of Helensburgh to the East Coast were much more marked.

Funnily enough, the best was the USA where I found, as individuals, they were were the most welcoming, hospitable, optimistic, generous, trusting and trustworthy. A lot of God botherers but that did not impact on their relationships with a heathen like me. As a nation though ..........

ctva

Visit site
...I thought the campaigns on both side were well run, and the debate was carried out with great courtesy and positivity...
Indeed, the Scottish referendum campaign, on the whole, was an energising and uplifting experience...

...it showed that people can discuss very different views with civility and good humour...

Oh what a short memory. Just over two years ago and history is being rewritten to say that the referendum was good natured and full of open respectful discussions... wow!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It's all too late now of course, but it was Helensburgh 1977 to 1982 (when it was part of Dunbartonshire), now Argyl and Bute.

Helensburgh? Where the well-off old Glaswegians who don't go to Largs to die go to die? Golly. Those teashops must be tougher than I thought.

Oh what a short memory. Just over two years ago and history is being rewritten to say that the referendum was good natured and full of open respectful discussions... wow!

There was a bit of silliness on both sides, of course, but generally yes, I do think it was generally very civilised. Compare it with the referendum in England last summer.

dimdav

Visit site

I'm sure it felt that way for Yes supporters, they really did (up to a point) enjoy themselves speaking to each other in their echo chambers. It was a very different story for those on the other side.

I'll not mention indy again on this thread, plenty of scope for that in the lounge ;)