Required: Experienced sailor in the Algarve to train a new sailor and undertake some extended voyages..

JamesWilcox

Visit site
Dear Friends,

I am relatively new to sailing and in the middle of doing the relevant RYA exams etc. I have a nice boat (Oceanus 55, like new with 3 double cabins etc. etc.) in the Algarve that needs to be used and enjoyed more than it is. I lack experience and crew and perhaps you lack a boat...Key to this will be if we get on with one another. I am happy to sail with either singles, friends, or couples. The initial idea would be some day sailing around the Algarve to see if we get on, then I think an extended cruise of a couple of weeks in May/June . Lots of other opportunities to sail after this. This could be to the Med or even the Canary Islands. You could be any age, but most importantly must be experienced, i.e. Yacht Master qualified. Drop me a message if you think this might be you and fun to do.

Very best,

James

Stingo

Visit site
Welcome to the forums, James.
The Algarve is a fairly large area. Which port or marina is the boat berthed in at the moment. I ask this because, as an example, from where I live, a train takes just over two hours each way, so a day trip is not worth the effort.
Being a Yachtmaster is over rated. I say this, despite having a Yachtmaster Offshore qualification myself. Miles under the keel is far more important.

JamesWilcox

Visit site
Hi Stingo,

She is berthed in Portimao. I agree that nothing beats miles, but I do need some way of working out who is an accomplished sailor and who is, well, not. Best, James

Close hauled

Visit site
I don’t agree with the statement that being a YM is overated. It demonstrates a level of competence and commitment that not all sailors can achieve. It is a thorough test of ability and knowledge. However, once qualified there is a need to gain years of experience and miles under the keel before you are reasonably competent yet humble enough to know that you don’t know it all. Becoming a YM Ocean was for me an achievement of which I am still proud 20 years and over 100,000 miles later Good luck with your search for a sailing companion and mentor James - YM Offshore is the minimum you should stipulate.
Pete

Last edited:

JamesWilcox

Visit site
Thanks Pedro. It seems no one is really interested though. I had hoped for more responses, so would be happy to add some cash into the arrangement. Any takers please do get in touch.

Best, James

Close hauled

Visit site
James - you’ve got a good boat in a great place so I wouldn’t rush into offering a cash incentive. Have you tried CrewSeekers or the Ocean Cruising Club website? They’re better placed than this forum.
Peter

pandos

Visit site
Thanks Pedro. It seems no one is really interested though. I had hoped for more responses, so would be happy to add some cash into the arrangement. Any takers please do get in touch.

Best, James
Try lowering the stated requirements, many can sail who would be perfect companions to allow you get the boat out with a bit of support and company, but would not put forward their resume, in a kind of interview situation.

Just a suggestion....