Replacing Headlining

Tam Lin

Visit site
I had a similar situation with my Centaur. I decided that I couldn’t stick foam on the horizontal surfaces so screwed and glued battens on then used cardboard to make templates. The card could be pinned to the battens which made it easier to work while lying on my back.
I used 3mm ply from Wickes to make the panels and PVA glue to stick the foam to them. The panels were then screwed to the battens. Horizontal surfaces has foam roughly cut to size and glued on then trimmed when dry. I thought about where the joins would be and used the trick of doubling over the ends to hide them. I was pleased with the result.

conks01

Visit site
As for the existing droop in the cabin I'm looking to restick this with SAF111 again supplied by Hawke House.

I'm to scrape of the existing adhesive and foam using the face off disc from the Coach roof.

I'm aiming to reuse the vinyl as its still insitu and have let it drape down bit I need to get the foam off the back as its shot.

Having tried to use a fillers knife to do the scraping its taking ages plus I'm worried in case I go through the vinyl.

Is there an easier way to remove it, maybe liquid or solution?

Thanks.

Tam Lin

Visit site
I would be tempted to say that if it is that hard to get off then leave it! Mine just rubbed off as a powder. I also used some closed cell foam from eBay to cover the mess on the fibreglass and provide a smooth surface for the vinyl.

conks01

Visit site
Thanks. Thinking about it I could use a stiff nylon brush perhaps. That might be easier and less harsh.

I was wondering with ply panels if I would still need to fit the closed cell for insulation & to avoid condensation? I'm assuming si in which case I'd need to fit battens over the top to fix to as oppose to the 3M velcro idea which others have suggested?

Huttoft

Visit site
I have taken down all foam backed vinyl covered plywood headlinings and brought them all back home for refurbishment. The vinyl covers peeled off the plywood with no sign of any glue still being active on the inside of the vinyl. Just a powdery residue of the decomposed foam. The inside surface of the vinyl and the surface of the plywood that it was previously glued to were cleaned of all residue with the aid of a power/jet washer. This completely cleaned the vinyl and left the plywood with the remnants of smeared original glue. I tried several different solvents to soften and remove the old glue. None proved efficient or practical. Instead I cleaned all glue off by scraper. It was long and tedious but successful. All original vinyl has been re-glued back to the boards using aerosol carpet contact glue. The completed headlinings have been washed clean and I am happy enough with the outcome.
Good luck.

conks01

Visit site
Having thought about this I'm wondering if the bubble foil insulation is to be glued to the GRP substrate behind the panels with the ply vinyl covered panel then on top or, whether I need to glue the foil insulation within each panel to stop the vinyl delaminating in the future?

May be I'm over-thinking this but if there's no insulation behind each panel wouldn't the GRP substrate (coach roof etc.) then condensate?

Clear as mud ?

steve1963

Visit site
I am just about to make up a couple of headlining panels to conceal some solar panel wiring. Is marine ply necessary or is ordinary 4mm ply OK?
I just used ordinary ply, but sealed it with gloss paint (on the uncovered side. The covered side will be sealed with PVA)

steve1963

Visit site
On this topic, if anybody is thinking of making panels, and is based in Spain, I have a number of surplus to requirements, cans of spray on glue (from Hawke House). Free to collector

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
On this topic, if anybody is thinking of making panels, and is based in Spain, I have a number of surplus to requirements, cans of spray on glue (from Hawke House). Free to collector
I'm in the middle of just such a job in Estepona, down near Gibraltar. Where are you?

My challenge is adding insulation to try and reduce heating up from the sun rather than combatting condensation or cold from the outside. My aft cabin is looking like a spaceship with the foil covered bubble sheets I'm putting up. I'm then covered the foil sheets with various insulating materials. Dense close cell foam sheets are working well with painted ply panels over. Cork turns out to be a pretty poor insulator though - gluing it on top of the foil sheets as a decorative insulating layer is nowhere near as effective as close cell foam.IMG-20200523-WA0004.jpg

steve1963

Visit site
I'm in the middle of just such a job in Estepona, down near Gibraltar. Where are you?

My challenge is adding insulation to try and reduce heating up from the sun rather than combatting condensation or cold from the outside. My aft cabin is looking like a spaceship with the foil covered bubble sheets I'm putting up. I'm then covered the foil sheets with various insulating materials. Dense close cell foam sheets are working well with painted ply panels over. Cork turns out to be a pretty poor insulator though - gluing it on top of the foil sheets as a decorative insulating layer is nowhere near as effective as close cell foam.View attachment 90894
I'm in Barcelona. I have 7 cans going free if you want them. I know exactly the problem you have; the boat becomes like an oven in the summer months. Really unpleasant!