Replacing Headlining

conks01

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to add vinyl headlining to the forepeak which is currently painted.

The problem i have therefore is there are no existing templates to use for the new.

Hawke House supply Westerly kits i know but they're expensive (£440).

Is there any way I can create templates to be able to use to cut the new to fit.

Thanks

VicS

Visit site
Hi,

The problem i have therefore is there are no existing templates to use for the new.

Is there any way I can create templates to be able to use to cut the new to fit.

Thanks
Thick brown paper if you must make a template

I did not make templates when I first lined my boat nor when I relined it.

Akestor

www.youtube.com
I also used thick brown paper for the final templates that i taped on the 4mm plywood to draw the outline. As first template material i used tracing paper supported with double side tape. It was easier to cut the portlights shapes as i could see their position. The template doesn't need to be one piece. It can be a puzzle of many pieces taped together. These are the sides from 4mm plywood 51535830_1936332223160298_4377371977355100160_n.jpg

Kai_

Visit site
could use mylar as its clear, wouldnt be easy to work with overhead though, maybe also some temporary spray adhesive to hold it on while you make the template.

TC Tuckton

Visit site
I used a Hawke House kit for the saloon deckhead in a Centaur. Despite the clear instructions I found gluing it up was a challenge and made me glad I had opted for vinyl on ply panels in the forecabin. There I used 5mm expanded foam underlay boards to make templates for the ply panels. It is lightweight, easy to cut and handles like the 3mm ply. I used double sided tape to hold it to the glued on hardwood pads. When they were all up I could see how to set the joints so they were less visible. In retrospect I would have replaced each underlay board template with its vinyl covered ply counterpart one at a time so that any errors could be accommodated.

seumask

Visit site
Where ever you can go for making vinyl covered boards that can be fixed in place. This sounds like more work than sticking the vinyl to the cabin sides but it is much easier to work on the templates and boards off the boat and if you ever need to work on them again its much easier than dealing with the inevitable droop that will come in time with gluing directly to the boat. You'll find that Vinyl is readily available on the internet at lower prices than Hawke House, however their offerings are good quality in my experience.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I am just about to make up a couple of headlining panels to conceal some solar panel wiring. Is marine ply necessary or is ordinary 4mm ply OK?

Gwylan

Visit site
Hi,

Thanks
Lining wall paper. Thick and consistent dimensions.

Gwylan

Visit site
An alternative to vinyl is cladding. Can be taken down for service.
Will never droop, provides insulation
Have I done it? Yes
Would I do it for other parts of the boat? Yes
Google Eurocell

seumask

Visit site
I am just about to make up a couple of headlining panels to conceal some solar panel wiring. Is marine ply necessary or is ordinary 4mm ply OK?
Marine ply, is I understand a rating that means it will be stable and not delaminate in damp conditions. Ordinary ply is not good in this regard, and Exterior rate ply sometimes is OK. All IMHO. You can get amazing grades of Marine ply, the top spec with good finish is avaialbe from Robins Marine Plywood & Timber Suppliers UK
But you wont need it that fancy for backing headlining boards and I find it available on ebay at more modest prices.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Thanks Seumask. I have been looking at marine ply on eBay and I can get a 610 x 610 sheet of 4mm marine ply sufficient what I need for about £26.00 delivered which doesn’t seem too bad.

PS Lovely boat on the first page of the Robins website that you linked to.

conks01

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses!

I don't know where to start! - As I have mentioned I was aiming to simply buy new unfoamed vinyl and then offer this up to new foil backed bubble wrap insulation.

It sounds as if, and I was also thinking along these lines, to go for ply panels but I'm not sure how you would complete the bulkhead etc. I've included a pic of the existing forepeak.

The sides also need doing and which include for the windows?

20200518_152117 (1).jpg20200518_152117 (1).jpg

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Marine ply, is I understand a rating that means it will be stable and not delaminate in damp conditions. Ordinary ply is not good in this regard, and Exterior rate ply sometimes is OK. All IMHO. You can get amazing grades of Marine ply, the top spec with good finish is avaialbe from Robins Marine Plywood & Timber Suppliers UK
But you wont need it that fancy for backing headlining boards and I find it available on ebay at more modest prices.
On my previous boat which I re-lined without having an existing lining as guidance, I largely used vinyl covered panels. For the panels I used double walled plastic (Contiboard?) which had been used as screen-printed election posters.

steve yates

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses!

I don't know where to start! - As I have mentioned I was aiming to simply buy new unfoamed vinyl and then offer this up to new foil backed bubble wrap insulation.

It sounds as if, and I was also thinking along these lines, to go for ply panels but I'm not sure how you would complete the bulkhead etc. I've included a pic of the existing forepeak.

The sides also need doing and which include for the windows?

View attachment 90705View attachment 90705
I have a similar project coming up. What did you use to remove the old glue and stuck foam etc? Your insides look very clean.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Having relined with foam backed vinyl, nothing would tempt me to do it again and I have doubts that using vinyl on bubble wrap insulation would work. Hawke House do a self adhesive carpet lining, which I've used in some lockers, far easier to use and has stuck to ply and grp hull like **** to a blanket. Carpet Linings Archives | Hawke House
They also do single and double sided self adhesive closed cell foam insulation. Self Adhesive Linings Archives | Hawke House

Another route would be to get one of the van lining blokes in but no idea on cost.

conks01

Visit site
I have a similar project coming up. What did you use to remove the old glue and stuck foam etc? Your insides look very clean.

Hi Steve.

It was like that when I purchased the boat. It had been painted but its badly flaking.

Having spoken to Hawke House they recommend a face off disc which they sell to fit either a drill or angle grinder.

They also seek tradesolve which is a spray on glue remover but suggested it was not essential. The disc apparently was the way forward.

Cheers

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
My experience for what it is worth is that vinyl headlining acts as a magnet for condensation.

I ended up using a felt material (sourced from scrap bins after usage for boat show "carpet"!) with the vynil on panels on the top.

I was frankly shocked at the amount of condensation on the vinyl. No different to on the windows.