Replacement Genoa Sheet.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
I currently have 10mm (possibly 8mm I need to check when next on the yacht) what I think is Marlow braid on braid sheets on a 19squ metre low footed genoa on Harken 2 speed 35 STA's. They are too short and getting old. The stretch appears to be OK and handling feels OK. I was thinking replacing with the same or similar. But I have Marlow D2 racing 8mm for spinnaker sheets on the same winches which are the bees knees for that job. But the D2s are not quite so nice on hands (but bearable) and are not so easy to uncoil to layout or tidy. But I wonder how problematic they can be as sheets, for example tangling up on a poor tack with the sail flogging . Please any one used D2 as genoa sheets on a small boat, was it worth it or can point me something else? Possibly softer on hands but still performs well for high load trimming?

Last edited:

pandos

Visit site
I just fitted new Marlow braid on braid sheets (12mm)....never before had such tangles and snagging on poor tacks...things improved after a few days not sure if it was because I was more careful, or once used and stretched out they get better anyway....

Channel Sailor

Visit site
My old braid on braid (probably) regularly get a kink caught in a turning block, depending how the crew throw the line off the winch. So I am wondering if the D2 will be better or worse. I vaguely recall that soft Matt type braid used as reefing lines can get in a right tangle if flogging for a short while.
Before splashing out on D2 it would be nice to know that accidental tangles and kinks could get worse.