Replace Eber D3L

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Looks like the Eberspacher D3L in my 'new' boat is needing replaced; the fan rattles and the flame gutters like a pulse jet. It looks pretty old.
I'm loathe to pay Eber prices to either repair or replace, so it looks like it'll have to be a 4kW Planar or one of the Chinese copies.
Hot air ducting, exhaust and combustion air hoses/silencers/skin fitting are all good.
What does the panel recommend as a 'drop-in' replacement?
246169861_1492090801167621_5771992731942063267_n.jpg

fredrussell

Visit site
5kw Chinese cheapo for me. If you can find a Lavener brand one, they’re reputedly better quality. That said, mines a sub-£100 wonder and going strong after a lot of use (year-round UK sailor)

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Neptunian 33. Centre cockpit ketch. Hot air to 3 cabins.

The 2Kw Autoterm does up to 33ft, you could of course fit a 4kw kit, but running the 2Kw harder should mean it runs cleaner than running a 4Kw heater at low heat settings. Personally, i wouldn't fit cheap Ebay heaters. The Autoterm heaters are CE approved and have a 3yr warranty.

pcatterall

Visit site
The 2Kw Autoterm does up to 33ft, you could of course fit a 4kw kit, but running the 2Kw harder should mean it runs cleaner than running a 4Kw heater at low heat settings. Personally, i wouldn't fit cheap Ebay heaters. The Autoterm heaters are CE approved and have a 3yr warranty.
We have a Neptunian and I would suggest that 4kw is the way to go.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
We have a Neptunian and I would suggest that 4kw is the way to go.

I agree. It's not just about maintaining temperature, but how quickly you can heat the space up before crawling out of your sleeping bag in the morning. I'm also thinking of splitting the run to the forward cabin and heat the heads as well.

Planar now trading as Autoterm. Their kit does look good, except for the spot welded automotive silencers.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I replaced my D3L with a Autoterm 4kW unit, supplied as a kit. It was not a hard job but it was not just a drop-in. For starters the first section of ducting needs upsizing from 75mm to 90mm with the first outlet changed to the supplied always-open 90mm fitting. The fuel pump needs changed along with the control unit as well. I don't regret doing the job, the improvement in comfort and reliability is worth it.

Fire99

Visit site
Hopefully this is helpful. I have just replaced a rather poorly Eberspacher d5lc with a Chinese 'Triclicks' 5kw heater. The reason I went for the Chinese one was partly because at this stage I wasn't certain on spending a lot of money on a large Autoterm one and also I was curious how good the Chinese ones were..

A month or so on and a few observations..

1. The mounting hole had to be modified since the Chinese one has a different footprint from the Eber. It meant just enlarging the hole in some places.
2. The existing combustion air inlet and exhaust hoses were reused and I used good quality hose clamps not the ones that came in the Chinese box.
3. The Air Inlet and Hot Air outlet trunking are different diameters so I used an adaptor from Ebay on the hot outlet and a bit of home DIY on the inlet one.
4. The heater works very well. It's quiet and kicks out lots of heat. The only issue I have is that my boat is about 50ft long with Outlets in the Aft cabin, Saloon, and two forward cabins. As the hoses aren't insulated, the far forward cabin only gets lukewarm heat. It is probably mostly down to insulation but physically the Chinese one is a fair bit smaller than the Eber though the heat output is the same. It may be partially down to the fan diameter..
5. The Chinese controller works very well and even comes with a remote control but let's be honest here, the plastics are fairly naff and liable to marks and scratches and it does look a bit tacky compared to the Eber or Autoterm controllers.. BUT it works fine and does come with a remote control (that works) for free..
6. Mine is in the engine compartment and is very quiet.
7. Spares prices are very cheap and if you're a bit handy with electronics etc you can make a module to make it work from text messages etc.

So all in all I would say the Chinese one is definitely worth the 80 quid I paid for it. In fact it's probably worth double that but there are a few compromises that you have to be aware of..

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I agree. It's not just about maintaining temperature, but how quickly you can heat the space up before crawling out of your sleeping bag in the morning. I'm also thinking of splitting the run to the forward cabin and heat the heads as well.

Planar now trading as Autoterm. Their kit does look good, except for the spot welded automotive silencers.

Not sure where you are looking to see spot welded silencers:

https://planarheaters.co.uk/store/ols/products/diesel-heater-silencer-kit

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Just a note if reusing the ducting: The back pressure, if the diameter is smaller, the total length is greater, there are many bends or adjustable vents may result in heater overheating and and errors.

Fitting larger dia ducting can be difficult or impossible so this might be a deciding factor when ordering the new heater's capacity.

Your existing ducting should be 75 mm as per the manual.

TNLI

Visit site
What safety features are built into the Chinese heaters? Most of the eBay bumf seems a bit vague on that front

I'm absolutly certain the Chinese diesel heaters will have a Carbon Monoxide detector, or a combined CO and smoke detector. There will also be an auto shut off circuit that operates when the unit is about to catch fire. Finally it will have a fast blow 1 amp fuse to make 100% it does not kill you or turn your pride and joy into a Viking funeral ship! Yes I do have a far Eastern 90 quid 5kW special truck heater, which I do use when awake only, and whilst I am awake, I stand by with a staibnless steel Amerex refillable water fire extinguisher, AND a large red dry powder one.

PS: The inside burner section will be made of cheap mild steel, not 316 stainless like wot the real McCoy ultra expensive ones. You will know when it rusts through:
Carbon monoxide poisoning - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Last edited:

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I'm absolutly certain the Chinese diesel heaters will have a Carbon Monoxide detector, or a combined CO and smoke detector. There will also be an auto shut off circuit that operates when the unit is about to catch fire. Finally it will have a fast blow 1 amp fuse to make 100% it does not kill you or turn your pride and joy into a Viking funeral ship! Yes I do have a far Eastern 90 quid 5kW special truck heater, which I do use when awake only, and whilst I am awake, I stand by with a staibnless steel Amerex refillable water fire extinguisher, AND a large red dry powder one.

PS: The inside burner section will be made of cheap mild steel, not 316 stainless like wot the real McCoy ultra expensive ones. You will know when it rusts through:
Carbon monoxide poisoning - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

I’m absolutely certain you’re taking the mickey. ?

oldgit

Visit site
Fitted a Planar 3 or 4 years ago ( forgotten when, it just works when you need it ) with the supplied silencer.New heater dropped directly in to the existing Eber bracket. Used original fuel pipe , fitted new Planar fuel pump and sold Eber version on Ebay for £50.00. Only wanted the basic controller.
Involved a bit of fiddling to get the warm air output of the Planar to mate up with original ducting.
Purchased 2 meters of new ducting which fitted directly onto output vent of heater and then used an adaptor to connect to the 3 vents in cabins.
Pretty certain it is 2KW version, it heats the boat, a 35ft Princess motorboat adequately during even the coldest winter nights to date.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site

Definitely heat the heads!