Repairs

Hugh cummings

Visit site
Guys
Looking for any helpful info to repair my rudder and skeg. Had a dunt from a rock collision and has bent the shaft and some damage to the skeg, can the shaft be straightened if rudder is removed, it is on a Moody 30

Reactions: RMC

superheat6k

Visit site
The problem with straightening is the set the shaft will have taken. If you put the shaft on a press it will straighten, but will likely spring back when the press is released, so the shaft has to be bent back beyond straight to offset the set. Getting this right will be a very difficult task, but might still be possible. The press will need at least several tonnes pressure, and this will be subject to the material and diameter.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I would have thought that a machine shop would be able to straighten it sufficiently. They might decide to use a powerful gas torch to get it hot to minimise any risk of cracking or springing but they should have this experience.

Richard

davidmh

Visit site
Not familiar with the Moody 30 setup but assuming the shaft is embedded in the GRP rudder if the bend is at the point it exits from the rudder it could be difficult to straighten as you have nothing to hold on too other than the rudder which will be to fragile. Suggest you contact the Moody owners website and see if anyone knows how the rudder was built. If you can get the shaft out of the rudder then it could be cheaper to have a new shaft made than try and straighten it.

David MH

superheat6k

Visit site
I do have a ~2.5m prop shaft from my boat which is 1.5" duplex stainless. I am sure you could get a decent rudder stock out of it. I changed it due to pitting where it passed through the old stuffing box.

Free to collect from Hamble.

Crazy-Diamond

Visit site
I have a Moody 30 - the shaft is built into the rudder - removing the shaft from the rudder is not going to be easy at all, and would need substantial re-building to the rudder to put it all back together.
What damage is there to the skeg?

This is my rudder for reference - the bottom of the skeg is removed in this pic.

1621240968827.png