Renting out your boat?

Oz23

Visit site
Not sure if this is allowed or if it's a controversial topic here, can remove if it is.

I have my boat for over 4 years now, bought brand new but used it for 72 hours in total according to engine meter, that's less than 18 hours a year. In order to offset some of the costs, I was thinking about renting it out over the spring/summer. There are some websites allow you to do it, but not many boats are listed, not sure why. As far as I know, you need commercial insurance on it, but does anyone know if I need anything else (commercial license etc) to be able to do that? Can I advertise it personally? Does anyone do it? Thanks.

oldgit

Visit site
My boat is far too personal to myself and family to even consider renting her to someone else!

+100%

Fraught with problems.
Have been offered the loan of boats.
Declined them all.
Its not the gel coat damage possiblities but the thought of any major mechanical failure on my watch.
It bad enough trying not to inflict damage on your own pride and joy.

In the past have rented out equipment, you attract some good and some appalling customers, getting paid can be fun, any agency involved merely cuts your share of the loot and can add agravation and complication.
The other problem would be be you would end up only being able to use boat when nobody else wants it .
Welcome to sitting on the boat in November looking out at the rain in 10C and wondering if the Red boards will be replaced by Yellow before you give up and go home.

st599

Visit site
Yes but not as beds on board

So if it's chartered as a stationary "caravan" - no coding, but if the charterer can go for a sail in it, then you need to get the MCA involved and provide all the equipment listed in MGN 280?

Oz23

Visit site
So if it's chartered as a stationary "caravan" - no coding, but if the charterer can go for a sail in it, then you need to get the MCA involved and provide all the equipment listed in MGN 280?

Is this required for day sailing for a few hours on non-tidal Thames as well?

Oz23

Visit site
+100%

Fraught with problems.
Have been offered the loan of boats.
Declined them all.
Its not the gel coat damage possiblities but the thought of any major mechanical failure on my watch.
It bad enough trying not to inflict damage on your own pride and joy.

In the past have rented out equipment, you attract some good and some appalling customers, getting paid can be fun, any agency involved merely cuts your share of the loot and can add agravation and complication.
The other problem would be be you would end up only being able to use boat when nobody else wants it .
Welcome to sitting on the boat in November looking out at the rain in 10C and wondering if the Red boards will be replaced by Yellow before you give up and go home.

I think it would be very difficult to get that level of demand anyway but to tell you the truth, I use it for 3 days a year in average anyway, so I wouldn't be worried about the lack of availability. My boat is a small cabin cruiser with a small outboard, not much complicated equipment involved really, but all fair points above. I guess it's a +/- balance.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Not sure if this is allowed or if it's a controversial topic here, can remove if it is.

I have my boat for over 4 years now, bought brand new but used it for 72 hours in total according to engine meter, that's less than 18 hours a year. In order to offset some of the costs, I was thinking about renting it out over the spring/summer. There are some websites allow you to do it, but not many boats are listed, not sure why. As far as I know, you need commercial insurance on it, but does anyone know if I need anything else (commercial license etc) to be able to do that? Can I advertise it personally? Does anyone do it? Thanks.

Seems to me you'd be better off selling your boat then hiring one when you do want to go boating.

ashtead

Visit site
I can imagine that if renting out you would need gas certificates,electrical certs, a change to your insurance coverage , some form of deposit to cover damage etc an inventory of condition and items on basis it’s furnished If you wanted to do this you might be best placing in hands of a rental company who could advise you of requirements and manage letting. Holiday let’s for cottages are quite time consuming and if anything goes wrong during a let how would you manage issues such as broken taps etc? I have seen marina 40ft Sealine type boats rent out by beds on board but I don’t know what views marinas take of such arrangements as it might disturb other bertholders if each weekend car loads of hen parties turned up and partied into the early hours, but this might be a problem maybe where you are.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I see no problem with renting a boat used for occasional use! Spend an hour or three explaining how everything works and you will likely have a repeat customer.

oldgit

Visit site
I see no problem with renting a boat used for occasional use! Spend an hour or three explaining how everything works and you will likely have a repeat customer.

I have trouble stopping myself from gouging out great lumps of gelcoat/ bending prop blades while boating on the Royal River.
14 fenders helps a bit.
There is a reason those hire boats have a 12" Tugboat rubbing band round the entire vessel and + the fenders.
On the up side.
It took about an hour for a hire company van to come out , pump out the potable water from a diesel tank and send the boat hirer on his merry way..
Still ....what with these new smaller slower filling hoses. less water in the diesel tank ? :)

Last edited: