Renewing a Part 1 Registration.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
The form says that I have to send in my current certificate. Any idea how long I will be without a certificate? And next time could I renew it six months early so that it's winter while I don't have one?

D

Deleted member 36384

I sent a copy. Call them, they are not as stuck up as the form suggests, a lot more pragmatic.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Thanks folks. Just spoke to them and they said not to worry about sending the certificate as lots of people are unable to get hold of the originals at the moment and they can renew the registration without it.

pvb

Visit site
I've found that they are incredibly sensible and helpful people (despite being in Wales :oops: ).

The real concern, of course, is that we should be surprised that these public servants are helpful! Surely all our interactions with the authorities should be similarly helpful?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
My experience also very positive, just registered a new boat on Pt 1 and they were happy to do the job using emailed PDFs of tonnage survey, scan of builders' cert etc. No problem at all, and decently sprightly too.

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
I sent a copy. Call them, they are not as stuck up as the form suggests, a lot more pragmatic.

My certificate has the wrong depth (by a long shot). I told them I could send a measurement certificate or other confirmations of the error. They said, no, I had to get it remeasured. As if!

pvb

Visit site
My certificate has the wrong depth (by a long shot). I told them I could send a measurement certificate or other confirmations of the error. They said, no, I had to get it remeasured. As if!

You may be confused by the fact that the measurements for registration don't necessarily agree with the physical measurements of the boat.

dgadee

Visit site
You may be confused by the fact that the measurements for registration don't necessarily agree with the physical measurements of the boat.

I may be. My maths was never that good. However I suspect even I can distinguish between the correct draft of 1.8m and the stated one of 1.41m.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I may be. My maths was never that good. However I suspect even I can distinguish between the correct draft of 1.8m and the stated one of 1.41m.

I think that Depth was the only thing the surveyor actually measured when my boat was surveyed for Part 1 back in 2009. He said that he would get the other measurements from similar boats he had recently visited (probably 42i as that shares the same hull but different deck moulding).

I remember that he measured vertically but cannot remember the details exactly. I think that it was from deck level to the bilges at the point giving maximum distance. The figure would have been more like 2.3+ metres if he had measured from headling to bilge.

Nothing to do with draft, depth under water, keel or anything you might associate with Depth. It is just one of the things used to calculate a notional volume to give some sort of relative cargo carrying capacity.

The draft is 2.2 metres but Part 1 documents show 1.82 metres. I always point out my actual draft if being assigned a berth after showing my documents. I have been asked if it is correct a couple of times as the staff wanted to put me in a berth with just over 2 metres depth. :D

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
The measured draft for a Pt1 tonnage survey is nothing whatever to do with the actual draft. Same as LOA or beam for that matter although that's usually a lot nearer.

Not sure why length and breadth should be as stated on the certificate but draft not:

Length: 11.22 metres
Depth: 1.41 metres
Breadth: 3.50 metres.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Not sure why length and breadth should be as stated on the certificate but draft not:

Length: 11.22 metres
Depth: 1.41 metres
Breadth: 3.50 metres.
It is an archaic system. I think the surveyor is meant to measure length and beam in a particular fashion but imagine the builder's hull length and beam won't be far out. I think commercial ships only measure length to rudder shaft instead of LOA, yachts are probably different.

Manufacturer's don't quote the Depth measurement as it isn't really relevant and it is not the same as draft (see posts #9, #11 and #12).

I am not very surprised that your length and beam are the same as the manufacturer's figures. Mine are the same as the quoted hull length and beam. The manufacturer's LOA is 0.34m longer than the figure they give for the hull, the surveyor isn't interested in bits hanging over the bow and uses their hull length. He only measured the depth because it isn't something a manufacturer would quote.

Depth would only be the same as draft by a complete fluke i.e. Deck to bilge (or whatever the surveyor actually measures) and keel to waterline being equal .

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
It is an archaic system. I think the surveyor is meant to measure length and beam in a particular fashion but imagine the builder's hull length and beam won't be far out. I think commercial ships only measure length to rudder shaft instead of LOA, yachts are probably different.

Manufacturer's don't quote the Depth measurement as it isn't really relevant and it is not the same as draft (see posts #9, #11 and #12).

I am not very surprised that your length and beam are the same as the manufacturer's figures. Mine are the same as the quoted hull length and beam. The manufacturer's LOA is 0.34m longer than the figure they give for the hull, the surveyor isn't interested in bits hanging over the bow and uses their hull length. He only measured the depth because it isn't something a manufacturer would quote.

Depth would only be the same as draft by a complete fluke i.e. Deck to bilge (or whatever the surveyor actually measures) and keel to waterline being equal .
Depends on the boat. My new boat is actually 13.3m LOA. Tonnage Measurement of LOA excludes the swim platform and bow roller so it’s measured at 11.63.

dgadee

Visit site
Depends on the boat. My new boat is actually 13.3m LOA. Tonnage Measurement of LOA excludes the swim platform and bow roller so it’s measured at 11.63.

I would have preferred to have a shorter length than a lesser depth on the certificate. Would have saved me much on marina and lift out fees given that Europeans all want to see that certificate.

dgadee

Visit site
Surely the marinas all go on the actual length not what's on some certificate? If it was a few cm different nobody would notice but approaching 2m....?

France, Portugal, Spain, Italy - every marina asks for the ship's documents when you go in to pay. Being 11.22 meters, it puts me into the 12m bracket rather than the 11 meter one if the certificate didn't have the .22.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
France, Portugal, Spain, Italy - every marina asks for the ship's documents when you go in to pay. Being 11.22 meters, it puts me into the 12m bracket rather than the 11 meter one if the certificate didn't have the .22.
So if I turned up in my 13.3m boat with 11.63 on the Reg Cert they'd just charge me for the 11.63 / put me in the 12m bracket? What about if I had a dinghy in davits? Or a 12' bowsprit (pretty unlikely to be fair)?