Renewing a Part 1 Registration.

dgadee

Visit site
So if I turned up in my 13.3m boat with 11.63 on the Reg Cert they'd just charge me for the 11.63 / put me in the 12m bracket? What about if I had a dinghy in davits? Or a 12' bowsprit (pretty unlikely to be fair)?

I suppose you might be caught out if someone went to inspect the boat, but they usually just do the paperwork from the office. I would imagine if you were overwintering and there was an obvious meter off what you were paying for, then they would notice. Also, some marinas work out cost on length and breadth (sometimes length times breadth). Luckily for me, 3.5m is the usual breakpoint. If I was 3.52 then I would be put up a class even if I was under 11 meters.

Last edited:

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
So if I turned up in my 13.3m boat with 11.63 on the Reg Cert they'd just charge me for the 11.63 / put me in the 12m bracket? What about if I had a dinghy in davits? Or a 12' bowsprit (pretty unlikely to be fair)?
Hiya. In a lot of those places, you go to a reception dock. There is usually one of the marina staff there to take your lines. And to look for things like Davits. Some will get out a tape measure to check. Especially if you want a long term berth.

dgadee

Visit site
Hiya. In a lot of those places, you go to a reception dock. There is usually one of the marina staff there to take your lines. And to look for things like Davits. Some will get out a tape measure to check. Especially if you want a long term berth.

My experience is that the staff who take your lines don't do the paperwork. It's a woman or a man with a white shirt on in the office. Neither of them feel they are at the same level in the hierarchy as the marineros. So, I am sure measurement takes place for long term berths, but I've not experienced it in 3 years - the certificate is viewed as factual.

Edit: Technically I am over 11.22m anyway. I have a hydrorvane sticking off the stern, No-one has ever brought that up, even when working out length x breadth.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Depends on the boat. My new boat is actually 13.3m LOA. Tonnage Measurement of LOA excludes the swim platform and bow roller so it’s measured at 11.63.
The surveyor uses hull length, not LOA. As far as I can remember, the old calculation was meant to indicate approx. weight of cargo stored below deck.

Swim platform, bowsprit etc. don't count. You are likely to be measured if taking extreme advantage with bowsprit and davits. My experience in Europe over the last 35+ years was that part 1 length was always accepted. The difference was never great at just under 0.5m in both boats but has saved me a tidy sum over the years.

I imagine that may change over time but still seems to be normal.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
The surveyor uses hull length, not LOA. As far as I can remember, the old calculation was meant to indicate approx. weight of cargo stored below deck.

Swim platform, bowsprit etc. don't count. You are likely to be measured if taking extreme advantage with bowsprit and davits. My experience in Europe over the last 35+ years was that part 1 length was always accepted. The difference was never great at just under 0.5m in both boats but has saved me a tidy sum over the years.

I imagine that may change over time but still seems to be normal.
That's exactly right. It's confused by the use of the words "Registered Length" and "Overall Length" on the certificate, both of which carry the hull length figure ...