Removing old teak off cockpit seats

G

The teak planking on my cockpit seats has curled up and deteriorated beyond repair, caulking disintegrated too. I feel it is probably too expensive to replace it all. How should I go about stripping it off (what is the adhesive sticking it to GRP beneath) and what should I replace it with? Easy or horrid job?

G

The Brigada Fiscal in Horta, on the island of Faial, in the Azores, whilst searching our vessel, last November, showed us just how easy it is to remove teak from cockpit locker lids with a crowbar. Unfortunately we are unable to recommend the technique as it also seems to remove hinges and the lids themselves and results in an unsightly mess. Good luck with your enquiries though!

G

If your a handyman its not difficult just a lot of accurate work. I did it on my 32 footer.
Remove old teak with small crowbar or wide chissel, beware of any screws. You may have to cut the old caulking first.
Remove the remaining bedding compound from the GRP with a chissel and clean well with thinner.
Repair the GRP with two layer of epoxy as it will probably be cracked and some gelcoat may come off with the old teak. Sand well with course paper.
Cut new teak (you dont want to use anything else) and map it so you know where the parts go. Use 55x10mm teak planks with a 5x5mm pre-routed groove. You can also use 6 or 8mm thick depending on your budget.
Apply bedding compound (Simpson, Sikaflex or similar)liberally with a course comb. Fit the teak parts into the wet bedding and fixate with temporary clamps screwed though the grooves into the GRP. Leave to set for a day.
Apply tape to the bottom of the grooves to prevent three sided adhesion. Apply primer to sides of grooves (absolutely required for proper adhesion). Fill grooves with deck caulking overflowing the grooves well. Leave to set for at least a day.
Cut away the superfluous caulking and sand the surface down smoothly.
As i said: a lot of work but wel worth the effort and money when you see the result. If you got any questions drop me a mail. Good luck.