removeable inner forestay tensioner

antares

Visit site
Tensioner for a removeable inner forestay, 7mm wire , 36 ft. boat. Wichard, Seasure, rigging screw with handles? Anybody got anything similar they want to sell? Many thanks.

FullCircle

Visit site
I use an oversize mainsheet block, 16:1 hooked to deck , and bottom of forestay. Tail end led over coachroof to winch. As you tighten, so the ratched on mainsheet block locks. Bingo.
Also gives the option of a spare mainsheet block if your goes ping, or can be used from the boom to hoist men overboard back into the boat.

Other highfield levers at 250 quid are available

antares

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I'd thought about this myself, obviously the low cost solution, but always wondered whether you'd be able to get sufficient tension with this method. You say 16:1 , what does that mean in practical terms of the mainsheet block,a double pulleytimes two? i'd be interested to know what size of boat you've and yhis works for you, tension wise. otherwise I'd assumed it'd be better to go for the wichard , seasure options.

FullCircle

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I'd thought about this myself, obviously the low cost solution, but always wondered whether you'd be able to get sufficient tension with this method. You say 16:1 , what does that mean in practical terms of the mainsheet block,a double pulleytimes two? i'd be interested to know what size of boat you've and yhis works for you, tension wise. otherwise I'd assumed it'd be better to go for the wichard , seasure options.

35ft Jeanneau Masthead, T piece set into mast for wire halyard leading down to the block. 12mm Dyneema for the mainsheet block.
In theory, my coachroof winch pulls 450kg before slipping. Harken blocks, large. Times that by 16 and you have around 7.5 tonnes force. More, much more than enough. A Highfield lever gets nowhere near it.

Photos here, was in 2005 before I changed to Dyneema and block

http://s4.beta.photobucket.com/user/jimdew/library/Storm Jib

antares

Visit site
35ft Jeanneau Masthead, T piece set into mast for wire halyard leading down to the block. 12mm Dyneema for the mainsheet block.
In theory, my coachroof winch pulls 450kg before slipping. Harken blocks, large. Times that by 16 and you have around 7.5 tonnes force. More, much more than enough. A Highfield lever gets nowhere near it.

Photos here, was in 2005 before I changed to Dyneema and block

http://s4.beta.photobucket.com/user/jimdew/library/Storm Jib

Thanks for that,very interesting, assume the change to dyneema was for the non stretch characteristics? Is it practical stuff to handle through the mainsheet tackle and winch?Was there too much stretch with the standard braided stuff?

antares

Visit site
thanks very much for the info, definitely more or lesss what I was looking for, just i think your model might be a wee bit on the small side, I have 7mm wire and forestay must be 40ft in lengthy. I see they do the larger , and more costly, model, probably what I'd need.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
thanks very much for the info, definitely more or lesss what I was looking for, just i think your model might be a wee bit on the small side, I have 7mm wire and forestay must be 40ft in lengthy. I see they do the larger , and more costly, model, probably what I'd need.
I've made my own and then another for a friend who has a 34ft Jeanneau.Both have been used in anger several times.I'm pretty sure you can find a skilled welder willing to make you one for a whole lot less than the nearly £300 they cost.You'd have to provide the turnbuckle.

antares

Visit site
Certainly an interesting possibility, I'm sure it could be done,but if you had any pictures of your design it would be much appreciated. Just thinking of the cost of these off the shelf models is scary. Thanks anyway for your messsage.