Registering a small yacht in the Caribbean

saltees

Visit site
looking for some well appreciated help.
I want to buy a small yacht to keep in the Caribbean. I'm an Irish EU citizen living in Malta so I contacted them. basically been told I would need at some stage before the first year is up to have a certificate of survey done by one of their approved surveyors who are only available in Europe(same for registration in Ireland). i have read a lot of the threads here about flags of convenience in England, Belgium etc but it seems the laws have become tighter and not doable and the Caribbean method of paying 1,500 per upwards to companies to have it registered with them is unfeasible for me.

It seems if I buy a Martinique registered boat i could keep it registered there but not sure about other places or how stringent they are. I have been reading threads for hours and it's a MINEFIELD! any advice would be much appreciated

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There are many places in the world that have open ship registration places like cook islands, langkawi, belize.

Royal Langkawi Yacht Club - Langkawi International Yacht Registery

Private Yacht Registration - Maritime Cook Islands

Registration

Saint Lucia implements open ship registry

If you google "ship registration in (a country) " you will get all the details and restrictions.

Legally there must be a direct connection between the ship/boat and the country but some countries just pay lip service to that requirement

The the one thing you must also consider is where you keep the boat as the could be import duties and sales/value added tax and any requirement for registration of the vessel in the country you keep it in.

In my country even if I register my vessel in somewhere else I also must list my vessel in South Africa and have it surveyed every year

Martinique is a french overseas territory so may come under france for ship registration. I would enquiry in france

France | Guide to Ship Registries

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/the-french-registration-of-your-pleasure-boat-49652

Last edited by a moderator:

saltees

Visit site
thanks a lot for the advice rogershaw, I appreciate the time you took to help. i have read a lot about open ship registration and flags of convenience countries on the internet and lots of people in threads have said that some countries in the Caribbean pay lip service more than others and don't worry about it. basically the Maltese and Irish maritime government officials have said I cant keep the boat in the Caribbean without a survey back in Europe in the first year. I really want to do this but I don't want to go and buy a boat then be told I cant move onto the boat and sail because of some law. is there anyone who knows about a way I could maybe keep the boat registered in the same country as when i buy it??? that's why I was thinking about Martinique flag. as me being a European it could work, or any other solution someone knows

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The fact that you are an Irish EU citizen and Martinique is in fact part of france should make it easier.

At one time I considered registering my boat in reunion which is also a french territory and as UK citizen would have been OK when GB was part of the EU.

There could also be duty and VAT considerations when the vessel is sold particular if you intend to move the boat back to the EU

Bajansailor

Visit site
What type / size of boat are you thinking about buying?
And how often will you use her - just during the winter months, and then lay her up on one of the islands for the summer?

If you find a boat in Martinique (there are certainly a LOT for sale there) that is registered in France, and you can keep her on the French registry, then that would make her more attractive.

Dominica seems to be keen on attracting yachts of all sizes - they are the next island north of Martinique.
Yacht Registration - Dominica Maritime Registration

You might even be able to register the boat here - I shall ask a question or two at the Registry Office.
I managed to get a French friend's 24' yacht registered here, but this was about 15 years ago, and she had never been registered (he had sailed her from New Zealand (where she was built) via South Africa to Barbados. The only paperwork he had for the boat was a Bill of Sale.
I think it might be a bit more difficult now though for foreigners to register 'small' yachts here, if they are not living here.

balder

Visit site
About Martinique, there is what they call "octroi de mer', more or less equal to vat rate.
As well, beware, the green lobby is very active in my country and we pay every year the DAFN, droit annuel de navigation. This tax is calculated with a savant mixture of maths depending of lenght of the boat and horsepower of engine(s)
For example, my trawler 57 feet with ONE engine JD 225 HP, cost every year 1800 euros of tax. This is a very good ratio ( engine vs size of vessel)
A friend of mine who owns an Azimuth 53 with two big engines is currently paying more than 7000 euros per year....a nightmare. It sucks....

saltees

Visit site
Thanks a lots guys,
I have decided finally due to finance( I am an English summer teacher!!) to buy a blue water yacht (27-29 foot) e.g tartan, albin vega etc I intend to keep the yacht there and over time find somewhere cheaper to keep her off season outside the boat yard so maybe in Grenada for monsoon if possible. If I can't find this solution then I just have to stump up the cost for on the hard boatyard fees.
I have researched all the helpful links and sent emails and await answers. When I find the best way I will happily post the findings here.

john_q

Visit site
Maybe look at Rio Dulce, Guatemala in the Western Caribbean to keep a boat - Haul and splash £230, monthly storage ashore £200, afloat in a marina £155 per month and the best hurricane hole in the Caribbean - miles up a river behind mountains. Also quite a few for sale, how about a 1970 Hinkley 31 S & S design for £10,500?

Last edited:
Visit site
Maybe look at Rio Dulce, Guatemala in the Western Caribbean to keep a boat - Haul and splash £230, monthly storage ashore £200, afloat in a marina £155 per month and the best hurricane hole in the Caribbean - miles up a river behind mountains. Also quite a few for sale, how about a 1970 Hinkley 31 S & S design for £10,500?

Then you are stuck though. It's a bit like Panama where practically everywhere is up wind of it, and the Caribbean sea doesn't seem to make for particularly pleasant passages once you are out west.

john_q

Visit site
It is a matter of opinion, if you like a crowded, expensive islands, expensive boat repairs, loads of Charter boats then the eastern Caribbean is for you. We like Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, Cuba, Caymans and once you are around the tip of Honduras then the SW Caribbean awaits.

We have been to both sides of the Caribbean and would only consider returning the SE Caribbean or the French islands

Last edited:

saltees

Visit site
again appreciate the advise. I emailed a lot of the government departments and brokers mentioned and haven't found anyone in the Caribbean that will register a private boat. I am hopefully going to Martinique this January so will try get some information on the ground and try to buy and keep the boat registered in Martinique. if not possible I will
a) try part 3 British registration sending a bank draft for payment
b) registration in Poland online and pay the 450 euros.
i am on a small outlay budget so will first try to get a 26-29 foot yacht with trailer to leave on land in Martinique when in Europe . if not possible to get a trailer boat then i will have to consider leaving a larger boat in rio dulce for the 7 months each year I will be working in Europe.
off if you're not on the treadmill or have money in this life they sure make it hard with all the rules!