registering a boat in Ireland

lilianroyle

Visit site
I am basically English but was born in N.Ireland so have Irish as well as British nationality and passport. Post Brexit I was wondering whether registering my boat in Ireland might be possible and convenient, given I'm planning to base the boat in France in the next few years. Anyone here done it or knows anyone who has?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
The Republic of Ireland does not have an equivalent of the SSR. There is is only the actual Register of Shipping which mainly applies to commercial craft and is an expensive process to apply for. Before January 2021 Irish yachtsmen "going foreign" generally obtained a UK address, by fair means or foul, and registered their boats on the UK SSR, conveniently forgetting to fly the Red Ensign when sailing.

Tranona

Visit site
You can go anywhere you like with British registration, either SSR or Part 1. If you want to keep your boat in France over and above the 18 months allowed for temporary importation you will have to import it and pay VAT in France. They may well also want to ensure it complies with the RCD, although it is too early (post Brexit) to know how this will work. You can still keep British registration, although the status of the SSR may change as strictly speaking it is only for UK residents for visiting outside the UK. The current rules for sailing a boat to and from the UK are here
www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-8-sailing-your-pleasure-craft-to-and-from-the-uk

As your plans are a few years ahead suggest you wait until it is known how the new rules will operate, including Schengen rules for you before making any decisions.

aidancoughlan

Visit site
If it helps you to have a European registration, Id suggest investigate the option of registering jn Holland. I considered it a few years ago when I kept my boat there. I didn't bother in the end (no one in Holland seemed to care if or where the boat was registered) , but it used to be a fairly simple process by post , with minimal requirements. A lot easier than trying to register it in Ireland.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If it helps you to have a European registration, Id suggest investigate the option of registering jn Holland. I considered it a few years ago when I kept my boat there. I didn't bother in the end (no one in Holland seemed to care if or where the boat was registered) , but it used to be a fairly simple process by post , with minimal requirements. A lot easier than trying to register it in Ireland.
Actual Dutch registration or that pretend version run by a club and with no legal standing?

pandos

Visit site
If you do not intend to fly an Irish tricolour from the stern just stick to the UK registration. Doing otherwise should not end well if you are checked.

There is legistltion here since 2014, which is not yet enacted to prevent non Irish or EU residents from keeping boats on the Irish register.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I am basically English but was born in N.Ireland so have Irish as well as British nationality and passport. Post Brexit I was wondering whether registering my boat in Ireland might be possible and convenient, given I'm planning to base the boat in France in the next few years. Anyone here done it or knows anyone who has?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I registered a boat in Ireland just over 10 years ago. It's a tedious process. It isn't a one stop shop like in the UK or Jersey. Having said that I was able to do 95% of it via email. You will need to have a tonnage survey done which can be costly. As most of the process will be with Customs (Revenue Commissioners) the dreaded VAT status of your boat will inevitably arise.
Seems to me you're in a very enviable position - Irish passport so no 90/180 worries and you can avail of the SSR. Why change?

Visit site
Quite a few ended up in trouble here with dodgy Netherland reg.