Reflagging new-to-us boat in Med - which flag?

Tranona

Visit site
I have been informed that after 10 years the boat needs an out of water survey before renewing Part 1 reg. The Polish option needs no survey (they will accept Part 1 reg details - like LOA etc) and it lasts a lifetime. So no renews (even renewing Part 1 after 5 years was a pain).
Informed by whom? that is simply not true. As I suggested earlier you really need to base your decisions on facts. As Forty_Two suggests you are perhaps confusing the regular, typically 10 year survey that is increasingly required by insurers - but an insurance condition survey is nothing like a tonnage survey as I explained in post #91.There is absolutely no advantage in letting your Part 1 lapse and paying a huge some of money to register your boat in Poland. UK Part 1 is the most established and credible form of registration for yachts available.

wwalsh

Visit site
In case the Part 1 is lapsed then a tonnage survey will be required for re-registration.
The length for registration (register length) is the length of the hull without any added parts (pulpit, bowsprit, stern platform that is not part of the hull). Checking can be made with tape measure but it is not reliable for the actual length measurement (most often at least 0.10m off) therefore the builder data would mostly be used.
The polish registration card looks a bit like SSR rather than a Part 1 certificate.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I have been informed that after 10 years the boat needs an out of water survey before renewing Part 1 reg. The Polish option needs no survey (they will accept Part 1 reg details - like LOA etc) and it lasts a lifetime. So no renews (even renewing Part 1 after 5 years was a pain).
I am onto my 3rd renewal of my part 1. No remeasurement necessary. I don't know where you get your info from, but I seriously suggest you stop listening to that source, because its complete rubbish.

As for your reasons to change flag - well thats up to you. I know for me it would create a problem on Insurance as I wish to be insured by a UK regulated organisation. And I am proud to fly the Red Ensign.

If your worries are about the issues of Greek rules, I suspect that these will be all ironed out by the time we go sailing this year. There is a major change in the shipping laws coming - will it ditch the Transit Log? That we are certainly pushing for at the CA. As for the other issues - like Rhodes and the Dodecanese has not given any UK vessel RGR this year no matter what documentation it has - I believe we will have sorted all this by the time of the summer season again. So why change? I can see no possible reason.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
However, UK insurance companies will usually want to see a survey every 10 years or so. That is not a hard and fast rule, but seems pretty common practice.

Any Insurer who will take on a yacht after 10 years without a survey is guilty of crap underwriting and risk management. I personally do not want to be insured by a company that takes that attitude to risk. As William Walsh what kind of shit he has seen over the years......

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
As for your reasons to change flag - well thats up to you. I know for me it would create a problem on Insurance as I wish to be insured by a UK regulated organisation. And I am proud to fly the Red Ensign.

Your boat does not have to be UK registered to be insured with a UK regulated insurance company.
My Belgian registered boat, kept in France, is insured with Pants UK.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Any Insurer who will take on a yacht after 10 years without a survey is guilty of crap underwriting and risk management. I personally do not want to be insured by a company that takes that attitude to risk. As William Walsh what kind of shit he has seen over the years......

Insurance market has changed, many UK insurers are no longer licensed to insure EU flagged boats. We (UK flagged, EU based) had problems finding cover this year and changed to Navigators & General at October renewal and need survey before 2022 renewal, last one was 7 years ago. Pants wanted survey before agreeing cover.