Reefing a Main with in-mast Furling...

haydude

Visit site
Unfurling the main with Selden continuous control line is very simple. Selden is the best in-mast furling system I used.

As I understand you let the loop go totally slack when unfurling, that can work, but I do not recommend it simply because the main can unfurl too quickly. You can do that in absence of wind or with a very light breeze, but not with a bit of wind, even if your intention is to unfurl the main completely. Leaving the loop slack can cause it to jam around deck fittings or to jump off the drum.

Whilst you tension the outhaul to unfurl the main you must keep tension also on the continuous loop line to control the unfurling. No need to use the ratchet at all or to build a messy system like the previous poster did.

Bearing in mind that it is good practice to keep the loop always under tension, the ratchet should be engaged only 1) when the sail is stored in the mast and you leave the boat unattended, and 2) in case of reefing under strong/gale wind condition as additional safety (although I never actually do the latter as unnecessary with a properly tensioned loop).

I hope this helps.

Mikenda

Visit site
New experience yesterday the continuous line jumped of the wheel. Thought the line had broken at first, must watch tension in future.

Other threads that may be of interest