Red wind warning for NE coast

diverd

Visit site
Hi Sandy, you are right, there is a percentage of boats that never move, and they appear to never get damaged, perhaps the mass of weed on them baffles and slows the movement in a storm. I guess every marina has some boats that never move. Typically its nice, cared for and used boats that are damaged.
There is an active group of sailors who regularly head out, and travel a good bit. There is also a strong angling community. I have 2 boats, a yacht and a power boat set up to be a fast fisher, so move with both groups. Its a nice marina, with a good social group of regulars.

dunedin

Visit site
That will be for others to decide. None of the forecasts I looked at last night showed a NE wind direction. Can you point me at some that do or somewhere I can have a look at the actuals?
Don’t have the forecasts now, but when I looked at the forecasts before the Storm I was expecting NNE or so. Definitely an ”interesting” decision to lie to anchor there rather than to head to sea.

dunedin

Visit site
A friend back home just sent me this

View attachment 126562

Sadly not very funny for many - looks like a lot of boats severely damaged or worse, particularly in NE England - in marina berths which would normally be fairly safe.
A lot of very sad photos all over Facebook groups. Going to be a big tally of boat damage

Last edited:

NormanS

Visit site
That will be for others to decide. None of the forecasts I looked at last night showed a NE wind direction. Can you point me at some that do or somewhere I can have a look at the actuals?
Possibly from Cornwall it is hard to imagine just how bad it was last night on the exposed east coast of Scotland. Suffice to say that on returning from that service, Arbroath RNLI lifeboat chose not to attempt the return to Arbroath, instead making for Montrose.

diverd

Visit site
Folks are saying its one of the worst in NE scotland in a very long time, with old buildings and very old trees destroyed. Structures that have survived in the area for decades. Some substantial buildings lost roofs. I am actually surprised how few boats were damaged.
I was watching from time to time on my camera, and lost sight of my bow a number of times, in the spray, rain and snow. One yacht opposite me looked to be more or less knocked over, its mast was at a hellish angle, but it appears to be undamaged. Certainly the movement of boats i could see was incredible, panning the camera round really interesting, i actually though one had broken lose it was moving so much.
I will be up early next week, I am wondering how my pumps got on, i expect the batteries will be well down by now, as the sun light is just not enough up here to keep the batteries charged in winter. I charged everything last week, but expect they were hard worked yesterday.
At the moment in comparison, its a cold but pleasant evening up there, light winds and dry. A couple of inches of snow inland though, so it will start building in the mountains from now.

cherod

Visit site
Folks are saying its one of the worst in NE scotland in a very long time, with old buildings and very old trees destroyed. Structures that have survived in the area for decades. Some substantial buildings lost roofs. I am actually surprised how few boats were damaged.
I was watching from time to time on my camera, and lost sight of my bow a number of times, in the spray, rain and snow. One yacht opposite me looked to be more or less knocked over, its mast was at a hellish angle, but it appears to be undamaged. Certainly the movement of boats i could see was incredible, panning the camera round really interesting, i actually though one had broken lose it was moving so much.
I will be up early next week, I am wondering how my pumps got on, i expect the batteries will be well down by now, as the sun light is just not enough up here to keep the batteries charged in winter. I charged everything last week, but expect they were hard worked yesterday.
At the moment in comparison, its a cold but pleasant evening up there, light winds and dry. A couple of inches of snow inland though, so it will start building in the mountains from now.
( if you want ) you can PM me your boat and i will check it in the morning when i am down .

penberth3

Visit site
In my humble opinion, the "professional" master of that ship acted like an idiot, and put other people's lives in danger. Lunan Bay was a stupid place to be in F9-11 out of the NE. I hope that his ticket is reviewed.

The armchair expert. Do you know all the facts, or is it you that's "acting like an idiot"?

Sandy

Visit site
Possibly from Cornwall it is hard to imagine just how bad it was last night on the exposed east coast of Scotland. Suffice to say that on returning from that service, Arbroath RNLI lifeboat chose not to attempt the return to Arbroath, instead making for Montrose.
Only after being brought up on Orkney, you will remember the Longhope Lifeboat disaster, Wester Ross and Fort William.

I've been a member of a Mountain Rescue Team and know full well what it is like to be out on a 'shout' trying to keep somebody alive in 100 MPH winds and know full well how bad it was last night.

Sandy

Visit site
Sadly not very funny for many - looks like a lot of boats severely damaged or worse, particularly in NE England - in marina berths which would normally be fairly safe.
A lot of very sad photos all over Facebook groups. Going to be a big tally of boat damage
Perhaps, perhaps. I've always tried to look at adversity with a bit of humor. We all know the weather can be brutal, they call it the Screaming 50s in the Southern Hemisphere.

oldhunter

Visit site
I have never seen so much wind damage in Aberdeenshire, there have been whole woods flattened , our village had no electricity or phone signal for 52 hours , water was cut off for a while. There are still many villages cut off with no electricity and water. We had no way of finding out who had power, we went into Aberdeen to visit relatives for a hot meal on Sunday luckily the roads had been cleared of fallen trees and they were at home. A friend had his car written off with a fallen tree outside their house he, wife and two children all survived with minor scratches, their land rover was severely damaged with another fallen tree. Another friend who is a council worker was called out at night to clear fallen trees off the road ran into a tree that fell in front of his vehicle which was badly damaged, a minute earlier and he would have been killed . In this day and age it was very disconcerting not having any means of communication, we still have no mobile signal. There has been plenty of adversity not much humour.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
When I began my 10 years as a Met Office senior forecaster in 1968, we had a Flash warning system. The criterion was, “Weather affecting major conurbations likely to result in need for help from the military.” Or, some such wording. Not long after taking up the post, I was on duty when we had a major storm causing widespread flooding in Kent. I took the view that rules were made for the guidance of wise men and ……. I issued a Flash warning. Later, I argued for, and got, the criteria to be countrywide. I find it amazing that, with all the good warnings for Arwen, well in advance, there was, apparently no pre-emotive action. It is only in the past day or so that the military has been drafted in.