Red Diesel

rafiki_

Visit site
HMRC has never been concerned about marine diesel taxation. They were reluctant to implement the EU tax requirements and agreed with RYA the 60/40 split. It has never been a legal issue, and to my knowledge has never been enforced. I did hear that HMRC was investigating the use of red diesel around the Hamble, but their interest was the fuel being used in road vehicles. Others may know better?

hg2016

Visit site
so, currently, what colour diesel is for sale in and around the solent and how much £ is it. last time I filled up it was £1.10 pl on a 60/40 split.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
This is a link to the HMRC information:

Reform of red diesel and other rebated fuels entitlement

For the rest of the UK:

Under the section entitled - “Background to the Measure”, 4th paragraph - it describes the requirement for full duty to be paid on the fuel being used for propulsion. As MJGH said - there is no mention of the 60/40 split!

I then asked in my original reply to the OP, whether the 60/40 split was ever written into guidance or similar? From the replies, it seems not, but is not being challenged by HMRC.

In short and as MartynG has mentioned above - there is no change to the existing arrangements being proposed of being able to use red diesel and paying duty on a 60/40 split.

Wing Mark

Visit site
And what happens if you take a tank, with red in it, into the EU?
Is UK red going to continue to be the same as EU red? Marked with the same chemical?
AIUI, in the EU, it's an offence to have that marker in a yacht's engine system.

So there are still implications for anyone wanting to cross the channel, or visit Eire, or for boats coming from the EU into GB and needing some fuel.
I think covid prevented people from finding out the issues last yea and this year?

LBRodders

Visit site
Whilst we know the environmental and tax gains are minimal if the 60/40 split was to go, it'd be an easy target to please the galleries.
It's only a matter of when, not if.