Red Bilge Paint

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
It so sad that red Danboline is no longer manufactured - it was an excellent paint. Im really rather surprised that red is so out of vogue now, with grey or white being the preference, that Red is no longer commercially viable. Everybody with a classic yacht knows that red is the only colour. Why would you want white bilges?
So I've been looking at alternatives - Teamac seem to do a red. Has anybody tried it and will it go staright over Danboline OK?

MOBY2

Visit site
I always liked Danboline but was pointed in the direction of Garage floor paint by a boat builder, always do your preparation properly and apply, I usually do 2 coats, it seems as tough as old boots and 5 years on and lasting well, the stuff I got was Leyland

Hope that helps, good luck

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Don’t use the Blake’s bilge and locker paint; it seems to be a chlorinated rubber paint and it dries with a matt finish that picks up dirt. DAMHIKT

Might be worth ringing round local yards and chandlers to see who has any red Danboline left in stock?

“Peter Duck” has a particular shade of green topside paint that hasn’t been made for ages but Julia always finds some...

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
I think I’m correct in saying that red was originally chosen in order that fishermen could disguise the fish blood.
It seems that Danboline is a love it or hate it paint. I’ve never has issues with flaking or it coming off. It does need to be very well stirred though - I mean very well. Im certain that Rosie has used Danboline from new. As with all paint systems it needs a key and 90% of process is preperation which is hard in the bilges. Many thanks to Kukri’s suggestion of asking local yards: I have found two tins now, enough to do the engine bay whilst the engine is out.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I had always thought that traditional wooden boats had red bilges only when viewed through their owner's rose-tinted spectacles. ;)

Squirt is “classic plastic” - she is a 54 year old Squib. Her owner may well view her through rose tinted spectacles but he is 19 and she has taught him how to sail, how to hand, reef, steer a compass course, pick up a mooring, drop an anchor, and a good deal more.

sideshowbob

Visit site
Just to say that I am still sulking over the disappearance of Danboline Red.

My last half tin is going to go in Squirt’s bilges because it’s important that my offspring know the value of tradition!
I think DoveMedows in Newton Abott still have some on their shelves

oldbloke

Visit site
If you want Danboline, and you want red Danboline, take your tin of white Danboline to a delux paint mixer and get it tinted your desired shade of red. Use the formulation for an oil based paint.
It works, my bilges are "twisted bamboo 3" and the tender is "volcanic splash "

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Why spend money on Danboline or any 'Marine' paint for bilges when you can buy any colour you want in 'garage floor paint' at half the cost which is hard wearing, waterproof. grease proof and oil proof, I have used it for over 20 years and it lasts ages.